Mushrooms Kilo, Fast and I got!!

ilyad

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

So here are the mushrooms we had shipped from Fl. These guys looks awesome!! They traveled 3000 miles in 2 days and are a little beat up. Especially one that got ripped in shipping :pooh: I'll be keeping a close eye on it and hopefully it'll recover... If not, since I arranged the transaction I'll refund Fast his money (his is the one that got injured).

Here is the box!!!
IMG_1756.jpg

And here are the beauties
IMG_1760.jpg

And a close up of the one I got
IMG_1762.jpg

And then after 2 hours in the tank, you can already see some blue coming back
IMG_1764.jpg

Here is Kilo's mushroom
IMG_1766.jpg

And Fast's Injured one - its all closed up to keep itself shielded
IMG_1765.jpg

They're obviously a little stressed out and discolored since they were in a box and god knows in what conditions for two days... but so far they're alive and slowly coming back to life.

I'll keep you guys posted on their recovery process and pics

Just an FYI, they were temp acclimated, dipped and then put in the tank on the bottom. I put the injured one in a glass in the tank because the flow was too much for it. Since then its looking a lot better... its more opened up and it stopped puking up its guts... I will dip it every day for now so that the damaged tissue doesnt get infected... wish us luck.

Oh the 3 of us are the only ones outside of Fl to have this color morph!!! Yeeee!!

Theres no name lol... the guy got it as a hitchhiker on a rock 4 years ago and since he's had them in his tank... I finally convinced him to send me this way to Cali. They are Rhodactis mushrooms... I guess I can name them... I'll go with "MASTER ILL Rhodactis" shroom

I hope Fast's mushroom makes it!! I think it will, if it doesent we will work something out!

Well I already told Fast that I can keep it in the "hospital" and if it makes it, he'll get it... if not then I refund him full price. Or if he wants to risk it and take it off my hands he can too.

I just want to make sure anyone I every trade with or sell to knows that Im serious and will never screw them over!:Cheers:

Sounds like fast got a good deal!!!! Mushrooms are near impossible to kill and if they get injured, they tend to split.

They look like hairy mushrooms to me, but I am by no means an expert.

hairyMushroomCoral1.jpg

Did not know that!!!!

I have a rock that had one on it. In the transfer home, it got damaged and was almost ripped in half. A few weeks later, I had like 6 of them. They have been growing great and almost cover the whole rock now. I have been thinking of fragging them.

The Hairy Mushroom Coral or Rhodactis Coral is a member of the order Corallimorpharia and occurs in multiple colors including brown, tan, green and purple. Rhodactis corals in general are very hardy and are considered excellent choices for beginning reef aquarists. The Hairy Mushroom Coral is a common form of Rhodactis coral that is found in most local fish stores that carry marine fish and corals. The Hairy Mushroom Coral gets its common name from the hair-like tentacles that cover the majority of its surface area, thus giving it a hairy appearance. Under proper conditions this species is known to grow quite quickly and should be given enough room to expand laterly as it grows. Another reason to provide ample room for this coral is that it is aggressive to other corals if it comes in contact with. Overall though, this is an excellent species for beginning reef aquarists.

Kilo, we should get them to PM us so we can keep better track and we'll update the list here... But little fish, you're good now...

List So Far:
Little Fish

What kind of flow, location, feed do they need?

These guys do best in low/mid flow, bottom of tank (they dont like the lights too high) they mostly get their energy from photosynthesis but you can supplement with some plankton...

BUT theres bad news guys... I woke up today to find the mushrooms not doing too hot. Two of them have lost some of the tissue :sniffles: I definitely jumped the gun on calling them doing ok after the shipping. They are now under close observation and dipped daily to help disinfect any damaged tissue... I really hope they pull through

Anybody have any additional advice besides dipping that I can do to help these guys along?

Back