Mushrooms shriveled

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
I checked my water today to find my Nitrates up. I did a 30 gallon water change. I noticed when I got back later tonight my colt coral, and all my shrooms have shriveled. Is this just shock? Or can there be another underlying problem? Nitrate was the only thing that showed high, everything else was perfect.

it could be just shock, those mushrooms are really hard to kill though, just make sure to change water frequently until the nitrates are back down and they should spring right back up

It's kinda crazy, I've never seen anything like it. Actually anything super soft if just sagging right now. My Colt, the shrooms, the Kenya weed and brain all look super stressed. My fish are fine, as are my zoas

No, not really. My house is an oven, so I normally run a chiller to get the water temp down. I had a huge problem over the summer with temp not dropping below 87.

I am thinking it may have to do with my salinity. I just checked and it is at 26, with specific gravity at 1.019. I'm wondering if I pulled out 5 gallons and replaced with salt water how much it would raise it.

dont you mean take out 5 gallons of the weak solution salt water and replace it with regular solution salt water?

i definately would NOT mix up a "strong" batch to try and raise the overall salinity in your tank, if your low, then what i would do, personally, is i would just do my evap top-offs with regular saltwater, and not fresh for a couple days, that way things change slowly, cause if you change it too quickly, that does lead to stress, for sure...

Project, that is what I was thinking, maybe I worded it wrong. I was thinking of pulling 5 gallons of weak water out of the tank, and replacing it with 5 gallons of fresh salt water. Not sure how strong a batch it is, but is the salt water I bought from my LFS.

yea, you could do that, but, like i said, that is a sudden change, if you just do your top-offs with salt water its a slower change, and thus causes less stress,

my question is how did you end up with a low mix in the first place, did the LFS sell you water that wasnt mixed correctly? with normal use, and evaptoration the natural tendency would be for your SG to go up, not down.... so, do you know how you ended up low?

When I do my water changes I use a mixture of RO, and Saltwater. I am thinking because I was in a rush last night I added more RO thus bringing the salinity down too far. I have always done this, and have had minor flucuations in salinity, but not like this.

ahhh, ok, now i'm starting to understand, ok, well, then, yea, that would do it.. ok, not a major deal, if your workin on a 120 gal tank, then 5 gal isnt that big of a deal, i'd do a few 5gal changes, just make sure and measure and mix your water to where you want it to be before you put it in the tank, but like i said, i wouldnt mix it "stong" to try and bring it up too fast, know what i mean?

may i ask why you mix your salt and ro?

I'm not mixing. I don't add any dry salt to anything. I buy RO, and I buy Ocean water (or watever it is they sell at the LFS as "salt water") The salinity of the LFS saltwater is just above 38 with specific gravity of just over 1.028

ahh, ok, so they are mixing it too strong then... ok, now i understand

no i understand that you are not mixing dry salt into the water, your just "thinning" the salt water from the LFS down some with the RO.. i get it...

i'd just keep doing your water changes, and i'd just make sure to measure the salinity of your water just before you put it into the tank, and make sure it's right, and that will bring it up slowly enough that it shouldnt hurt anything...

anyone else wanna chime in on this one?

What's to chime in on p5k? There's nothing else to add except you should always test/measure your salinity just as you do other things so you know just where it is and to head off any problems before they start. Salinity is the easiest to control.

I just pulled 5 gallons of the weak solution out of the tank, and replaced it with 5 gallons of the higher salinity salt water. That should bring it up a bit, but not enough to shock the systemm any more I hope.

now wait a couple hours till thats all mixed in, and measure, then tomorrow, if you need to, do it again, but i probably wouldnt do more than 5 gal a day...

Back