Mushrooms!

tonyg

Reefing newb
I got these 3 at a new lfs store the other day. They seem to open well, but are looking a bit more brownish than before.

My ph tests at 8.1 could that be the problem?

Attachments

• Mushroom.jpg
    Mushroom.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 229
The lady at the store said that I would HAVE to dose iodine and raise my ph. Think this is necessary?

That lady has no idea what she's talking about.

You salt has iodine in it and at the levels it should be.So there is no need to dose iodine.Especially if your not testing it.
On the PH.Test it about 15 minutes before the lights are out for the night.That's when it'll be its highest.If it's still reading 8.1 , then we'll try to figure out what's causing it to run a tad low.
Also check your alkalinity.

To add: as long as you do weekly or even bi-weekly water changes you dont need to worry about elements. The only thing I use is MicroVert which is coral food and Essential elements, but both with a low dosing. I use 0.1 ml per gallon of Essentials.

On the PH.Test it about 15 minutes before the lights are out for the night.That's when it'll be its highest.If it's still reading 8.1 , then we'll try to figure out what's causing it to run a tad low.
Also check your alkalinity.

Thanks for the advice! I should be home tomorrow evening before the lights go out, I'll be sure to test and post the results then.

The PH will drop at night because the algae stops producing oxygen when there is no light.The increased oxygen during the day will raise the PH.At night,an increase on CO2 will drop the PH.

+1 everyone. No need to mess with your pH or dose iodine. The corals look nice and healthy. Hannah is right -- they will look slightly different under different lights.

Back