My 10g first time ever doing this

D22010

Reefing newb
My first ever saltwater tank

as you can see it started off cloudy then over a few hours it cleared up, looked pretty boring so I went back to the fish store and as you can see put in some live rocks and sand.... along with 5 snails and a Chocolate Chip Starfish.. all within two days, on the third day we tested the water with a master water testing kit for all the important stuff "Ammonia, Nitrates, Hardness, Alkalinity, and pH" all tested Safe. The two fish in the tank now are a Purple Flame Goby and a Yellow Tail Damsel...

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 367
  • Tank 2 (1).jpg
    Tank 2 (1).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 339
  • Tank 3.jpg
    Tank 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 346
  • Tank 5 (2).jpg
    Tank 5 (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 369
  • 2011-04-27 12.30.40.jpg
    2011-04-27 12.30.40.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 2011-04-28 12.44.55.jpg
    2011-04-28 12.44.55.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 385
  • 2011-04-29 17.27.16.jpg
    2011-04-29 17.27.16.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 2011-04-29 17.29.28.jpg
    2011-04-29 17.29.28.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Tank 1.1.jpg
    Tank 1.1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
those star fish are evil coral eaters and your tank is not ready for fish.slowdown have some patience you will be happier in the long run.good luck hope the fish make it.even the evil damsel if he don't wak the firefish first

Last edited:
I know everyone says that, but I did more to it then just add the water and live elements... not to be mean or anything but I don't under stand if all my levels the ammonia, nitrates, hardness pH and alkalinity are all in the "PERFECT" zone how is the tank not ready??? doesn't make any sense. And I hope the "DAMSEL" doesn't do anything crazy, I call him ADD! Damn thing is zipping thru the tank like a race car diver haha

The bacteria in your tank needs time to establish itself. I'm afraid that you might be moving way too fast. Your ammonia and nitrite should spike and then fall back to normal levels, indicating a completed cycle. Your test kits will show safe readings because your cycle has barely started yet. Ammonia and nitrite are harmful to fish.

its not only about the water parameters, its also about the bacteria in the water. with saltwater tanks, bacteria in the water (a.k.a. the bioload) needs to build up to support the living things and destroy harmful toxins. If you add to many fish to the tank itself and the bioload is not large enough to support that number of fish, it will make them sick and ultimately can kill them. I explained it to my girlfriend like this (of course the ratios and numbers are incorrect but this is at least can help you with a mental image)... Lets say theres 1000 bacteria in your tank (of course im sure theres millions but again, just saying figuratively) and 1 fish... that 1000 bacteria has no problem with supporting 1 fish and in time will multiply into 2000 bacteria that can support a second fish (key word "in time"). but if you add a new fish to early before that bacteria multiplies into 2000, you're overworking that "1000" bacteria and it cant do its job properly... and the more fish you add, the more strain you put on your bioload. there really isnt a safe way of knowing how much your tank can support so you have to be patient and give it time. can never be to safe in this hobby. If your tank is brand new, you might be headed toward disaster and if i were you, if possible... i would take the fish back for store credit. Worse case scenario, your tank hasn't cycled yet and eventually will have an ammonia spike followed by nitrites.. which can harm/kiill your fish. It normally takes a new tank anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks to cycle (or later) and if it hasnt came yet, it will. Once you have your cycle, you can add fish... but add them slowly. i added one fish every 3 weeks in my tank. My tank is a little over 3 months old now and i only have 4 fish but will eventually in time add a few more. Im sure someone else will chime in soon as well..

Okay lets not try to confuse the new b "The bioload " is the fish not the biological activity that breaks down the waste.other wise known simply as the cycle.And without the cycle we have nothing.without the cycle Lance Armstrong is just some guy with one testicle

Last edited:
Your tank is going to start to cycle with all those fish, and the amonia will rise, so keep checking it. And be ready for water changes.

Why all those plastic plants?

It usually takes more than 2 days for a tank to start a cycle. It's not an immediate thing to see ammonia and nitrites. You should take those fish back. It's highly unlikely that they will survive in an uncycled tank like yours. Cycles usually take a few days to a week to start, then 3 to 4 weeks to finish. You should read the links that little_fish posted for you earlier. Do you want to kill your fish?

Take the fish and the sea star back to the fish store tomorrow first thing. Get rid of the fake decorations and get more rocks. put a piece of shrimp or something in the tank to start the cycle. 2 to 4 weeks later when ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates read zero then you can get fish. I suggest not keeping the damsel or the star fish. From what I've heard damsels are one of the most aggressive fish out there. If you keep the star fish then you will not be able to keep any corals or other invertebrates. Anyway I think your tank is to small for it, they can get up to 15" in diameter. I think the best thing you should do is get 15 to 20 pounds of rock, then, after it cycles you can get a pair of clowns. After it matures enough you should be able to get corals, but to keep them you must have perfect water quality and very strong lights.

I don't think you get how serious this is. If you don't take those fish back they will definitely die. You're dealing with living animals, you can't just stick two fish (one wimpy, and one ferocious) in a 3 day old 10 gallon tank. It requires a certain level of sense to be good at any hobby that involves keeping animals. If you really want to do this then you must do tuns of research and never do as the LFS says and always listen to what the pros here have to say.

Well, the plants are going to die, when they start to brown up and melts, check your amonia, and lets hope the critters pull through this. It looks to me like some sale person really sent you in the wrong direction just to boost sales. Be careful what the pet store tells you and sells you, there's nothing better than a person who keeps coming in with this problem, than that problem, they get to keep selling, and they dont care about your tank! Careful !

Ok lets make a bet shall we, its day five all levels in the tank are 0. pH is 8.2 the fish are still alive and well the Salt levels are 1.022 I plan on checking this every other day for the next 2 weeks so I can prove to all of you that "YOUR" wrong and my tank isn't going to spike and my fish are going to die

Coolio.
Because none of us have been doing this for years.....
I mean we are pretty stupid, of course your right my bad. :bowdown:

I never said anything would die, just the plants. So keep an eye on it, be honest, and keep us posted. If your tank doesnt cycle, then, you're the exception, and lucky. I hope your fish live personally.

Back