My 10g first time ever doing this

Jeez I guess you need to be controversial around here to get this many posts on a thread? LOL

I have fake plants in my angel tank too because those fuggers kept eating all my live ones!
My 10 gallon has so many plants in it now that I removed from the angel tank you cant hardly see the fish anymore LOL

Ok, so today marks one week since I started my Saltwater tank, Tested the water every other day and Found that the Ammonia levels are 0, Nitrates are 0, Hardness was 150 pH dropped from 8.2 to 8.1 thats about the only change besides the salinity of the water went from 1.023 to 1.022. Fish are doing very well haven't seen the damsel trying to wak the goby yet LOL

Our Goby is such a baby it hides all the time only come out when it eats the on the other hand the Yellow tail swims like crazy and here I was worried about the Goby being hyper active and what not HA!

Our Goby is such a baby it hides all the time only come out when it eats the on the other hand the Yellow tail swims like crazy and here I was worried about the Goby being hyper active and what not HA!

Uh. I coulda told you that...actually anyone here coulda told you that. Did u do ANY research before u bought these fish? Doubtful...

Sir Alex. Give it more time......

So its been a few days... the fish are still alive and I won't even go into detail about the tank stats because the "NEVER" spiked everything is still 0!! not once did they even slightly go up so at this point in time I'm no longer going to monitor the tank because if it hasn't spiked or even gone up .1 or anything by now and its been 2 weeks since I had the tank...

Hrmm, this new guy just showed up and changed the laws of water chemistry! SWEET SKILL.

Good Luck in the long haul though, seriously.

Ok, besides the fake plants. I have basically the same setup you do. When I did my cycle it was really small and I hardly had much diatoms and put my fish and cleanup crew in maybe 5-7 days after everything was set. Everything lived except one clown fish who jumped over the edge only because my other clown fish was picking on him though. My levels have also always been great. Though Good levels doesn't mean you safe. In 3-5 months you are going to end up with some kind of algae bloom. Whether it be hair algae, diatoms, or cyano bacteria. The reason is all the fish waste and uneaten food has to get biologically broken down. These wastes are called phosphates. Of course you're not going to detect a lot of level diffractions because your levels are going to swing and other things like algae are going to counter it. That's just the cycle of life. So my question is great, you will probably make it past the miniature undetectable diatom bloom, but what about future algae? Well protect yourself against phosphates now before your algae gets them first and you crash the tank or give up fighting the algae bloom.

Heres some good informational videos to help you out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdEHN2fphn0]YouTube - Reef Aquarium New & Old Tank Syndrome[/ame]

YouTube - newyorksteelo's Channel

YouTube - newyorksteelo's Channel

I'm not going to criticize you cause I did the same thing you did and had a terrible cyano bacteria outbreak which I finally got under controlee. And to be honest I'm still a complete nobody but your headed in my same direction. If you think you are going to add more cleaner crew to then counter that, understand things like cyano bacteria are deadly to even critters like snails. What I would do is get some phosphate sponge media and put it in a filter sock. Also get some cheato (good algae plant) cause plastic plants don't remove phosphates. Also people tend to get upset about the plastic plants because saltwater fish are amazingly colorful unlike freshwater water fish. Obviously that's your choice but you definitely need some rock whether live or dry to allow natural good bacteria's to grow.
Also what type of water are you using. Tap, distilled, ro/di, etc?
Hope this helps. I don't know why people always get all trolly for. While there trolling they could atleast throw you a pointer or two. Goodluck!

ok I have a question, the bottom on my tank is all nasty with left over fish food and my starfish and snails SUCK! what would you recommend as a good bottom cleaner

Back