My 2 Clownfishes Wont Eat. :(

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
i had them for exactly 24hours they seem to just pick an bite things floating around, i dropped in a few pellets and they swim to them quickly and just spit them out

Don't start worrying yet. It can take a few days for new fish to eat. In the meantime, go to a Petco, Petsmart or LFS and pick up a couple packs of different frozen foods. Flakes and pellets can lead to algae problems down the road, so feeding frozen is a good precautionary measure. Plus, fish seem to like the taste of frozen better.

Keep trying to feed your fish different things, and when you find something they like, stick with it.

yah it all depends mine didnt eat for a day and then after a while I just lift up the top and they come runing to the surface I even got it to were I can pretty much throw I pellet and theyll catch it in there mouth. But as biff said it does lead to algae problems but be carefull with frozen because that can lead to nitrate problems I recommend cutting the cube in half and using the half for two feedings! Make sure they eat it to! And who knows they could of been given a buffet of food at the LFS before you got them. I forgot who Told me on the reef but clowns can go 12 days with out eating!

Like Biff said.Try some frozen.It'll be better for tank and your fish.
You might try soaking it some garlic extract to.Garlic will get fish to eat most of the time.

Agree with all above. Get frozen food and soak some in garlic. Don't over feed just give a speck to see if they'll eat it.

Mine wouldn't take pellets either. Actually one of them did but the other didn't. As soon as I switched to frozen foods like Mysis Shrimp, Emerald Entree, and Marine Cuisine they started eating a lot.

Mysis is the way to go in the long term.

Also, it can take several days (sometimes a week) for fish to become acclimated to a new tank. My clowns, when I got them a year and a half ago, wouldn't eat for several days. Then, they ate flakes for a few days. Then, mysis after that...and they love it. They still eat flakes when offered, so when we're out of town it's easy for our babysitters to feed them. AND, they just started feeding their host bubble tip! Awesome!

I wouldn't worry yet...clowns will eat anything in time, given my experience.

a day is nothing to worry about. 10 days, that is a problem. wait a day in between feedings and do not add anything new to the tank while they are not eating. Try to keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible. the more stress they are under, the less likely they are to feed.

-Doc

Back