My 29g Biocube is leaking, How do I transfer everything to a new tank?

mrgster5

Reefing newb
I have a 3 year old Biocube tank that I adopted. I am totally new to this hobby and am not sure what to do. The tank is leaking at the top and I need to transfer everything to a new tank. Including an 1 1/2 inch thick live sand, 30# of live rock, 4 fish, shrimps, snails, crabs, starfish, oh my. How do I attempt this? I don't know where to start. If anyone can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Get some 5 gallon buckets, big plastic tubs, brute trash can. Anything so you can hold the tank water, and a bunch of the stuff. Like put sand and water in one container, rocks in another, and fish and everything else in a third one, for example. Then just set up your new tank, putting everything into it. You could go directly from the biocube, but since its leaking I would move everything into containers to avoid water loss.

The very first thing you will want to do is to fill some buckets with clean tank water(before the rock and sand is disturbed). Then transfer as many inhabitants into the clean water as you can. Then start transferring your rock. Then capture anybody you might have missed. Then get the sand and the rest of the water out. If your livestock is going to be in buckets for longer than an hour or so I would add heaters/aeration to their buckets.
Also, are you moving to a bigger/smaller/same size tank?

Also, i wouldnt just transfer the sand. It needs to cleaned if you are going to reuse it or you should just buy new sand. Transferring a sand bed that has been siting around for a long time can cause a mini cycle because you stir up all the junk that has collect in it or it can lead to a nitrate issue that will take a while with many waterchanges to clear up.

I still have not transferred the tank. I lowered the water level enough that it's not leaking as bad. My new tank just arrived today so I'm going to prep it by rinsing it all out. Then think I will get some fresh water and new sand. The tank is currently going through something as I have green algae, and red slime taking over. Is there anything I can do to keep that from happening in the new tank after I transfer everything? What about the bioballs? Should I transfer the old ones or put the new ones in? Thanks for all the good advice so far. :sfish:

The first things to look at in an algae bloom are nitrate and phosphate levels. Regular water changes reduce these levels. Make sure your water is RO/DI or distilled, not tap which can add to your algae issue. Bioballs can also create a nitrate issue if not cleaned regularly. I personally would just remove them from the system altogether. Hope this helps. :)

That must be my problem, guy at the lfs said it would be okay to treat my tap water and use it to make my own saltwater ,so the last 2 water changes that's what I did. Ugh! I have had this tank 3 mos now and have never cleaned the bioballs. If I removed them wouldn't that cause an imbalance? What do I put in it's place? Thanks!

Don't remove the bio-balls.Or at least if you do,don't remove them all at once.
You can use live rock rubble in place of the balls.

I've heard rinsing them well in salt water every six months or so will keep them from building nitrates. And +1 yote. If you take them out do it gradually. I should have mentioned that.

I thought I would post some pics as I am attempting to do this transfer today.
I put the new fine live sand in the bottom of the new tank with some of the water I took out last night while doing a water change. I was hoping to let some of the sand settle and get the biologicals going.
These are the steps I plan to take today, please let me know if I should do it differently.

1. Remove the top layer of live rock into a bucket with some existing tank water from last nights water change and shake to clean. (I don't plan to re-use this water)
  2. Unplug all power to the tank.
  3. Remove 5 gallons of water from existing tank into bucket, put cleaned live rock in it.
  4. Remove power head, protein skimmer, and heater , then clean in my sink and set aside.
  5. Remove the rest of the water from existing tank into bucket except a couple inches for the fish.
  6. Remove base rocks and shake clean like in step 1, then place in the the buckets of water.
  7. Catch fish and put in buckets. (Clown, Firefish, 2 green chromis) **(Not sure if I should put them with rocks or together in a separate bucket all their own).
  8. Catch shrimp and crabs. (1 peppermint shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, 1 emerald crab)
  9. Sift through sand to find snails and transfer to buckets.
  10. Remove old tank from the stand and put new tank in the same place. (I think I need a helper for this one)
  11. Fill new tank with water from buckets.
  12. Put Live rock in new tank.
  13. Remove bio-balls from old tank and clean like in step 1.
  14. Put heater and power head and skimmer in new tank and plug in.
  15. Put invertebrates, crabs in the new tank and then the fish. I plan to put the clown in last as he is usually the territorial one.
I hope someone with experience doing this can give me some advice whether this is a good plan or not. Thanks again for your help. :sfish:

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Yep, you are on the right track. You can put the fish in the bucket with the rock if you aren't going to move it. You don't want any rocks shifting in your bucket and crushing one of your babies.
I would also get as much of that water out of the new tank as you can before you move it to it's permanent place.

Can anyone tell me what to do about all this foamy bubbles in the new tank after I put the new sand in? Should I try and skim this out or will the filter handle it once I turn it on?

The foam is from the sand you put in. Also you need to make sure that your rocks are sitting on the bare bottom - not the sand. The sand can shift over time, making the rocks unstable and disaster will result.

Back