my 3 camera choices

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Here are my choices in cameras. I would like some opinions on them. My price range is 450ish. So any camera that u know of that I may have overlooked is welcomed.

Canon EOS rebel XS SLR
Canon PowerShot g12
Nikon D3000 SLR

Both the SLR cameras do not have video. the G12 has video but I don't know if it's HD. All three shoot RAW. The main purpose of this camera will be for shooting my tanks anything else is a bonus. Everybody else around have digital cameras for family functions and the such. So what do yall think? I would have included links but I'm typing from my phone.

If you don't need the video, you will be better off in the long run with the SLR.
You need to then go to the store and handle both because the decision on which to buy comes down to ergonomics. Pay attention to how it feels in your hand, where certain buttons and dials are that you will need to access most often, etc.
You will be buying into a system. Bodies will come and go but good lenses are forever, so you want to make sure you stick with one company or the other. I happen to prefer shooting with a Nikon but that's just me.

If none of that sounds appealing, go for the G12.
And also look at the Nikon P7000
Nikon CoolPix P7000 Digital Camera 26233 B&H Photo Video

I guess for the price I can do without video. If I choose the Nikon 7000 then I lose all SLR features. The g12 is more expensive then both SLR cameras and I just gain video (just keeping it simple). So I'm going to go look at the rebel xs and the 3000. I WILL WIN AT LEAST ONE POTM!!

For father's day, I got the hubby a d3000 froM B&H -- I saved so much money that I got him the comprehensive insurance...the one that they dont' care what happened, they'll fix/replace it. He is happy with it....for a long time, though, he was feenin' for a d5000....until he tried his coworker's and realized he likes his d3000. I think one difference was that for the d3000 he has to buy lenses with motors built in, and with the higher end cameras, the motors is built onto the body, which means cheaper lenses.

At the time, the price difference between the d3000 and the d5000 was $500..but the price gap has lessened. But I agree with Dennis -- go out and hold the cameras and play with them. B&H is definitely a great place to order from.

I have the Canon XSi. I like it. I also have a small Olympus point and shoot. The reason I chose the Canon is for 2 reasons. 1) I already had a Canon 35mm ALE, so my lenses just swapped over. 2) My uncle is a photographer and suggested the Canon as well, since that is all he shoots with.

My mom had the NIKON (she lost it), and she loved her camera.
Like Dennis said, go to a shop and hold them, get a feel for them, and get the camera that is most comfortable for you.

Yea now my thinking is to just get the dslr anyway. I mean at least I'll be able to upgrade lenses as I get the money. If I get the P&S I'm kinda "stuck".

You can still take good macro pictures with the stock lens. I'm pretty sure, Dennis is the only person on the site currently using a macro lens. And a lot of people have some really nice pics here.

I just got a Canon T3i DSLR last month and I love it!! I start introductory photography classes this week just to figure out how all the buttons work :)

Well I went to hhgregg to try the cameras. All the batteries were dead so I didn't get a performance feel. I held the Nikon D3000 and d3100. And I held the Canon t3i. They all felt good really. They didn't have the rebel xs though.

My husband actually picked up my Canon from Walmart. They have one of them in the store for you to see and touch. I'm not sure which model it is though.

Back