My 3rd fish

steelcity

Reefing newb
Currently have a 6 line (1.25") and a black clown (1.75"). Would like to add a flame angel. Also in the tank:

small colony of button polyps
Small stalks of blue xenias
1 mushroom
1 peppermint
snails (2 mexican turbos, 2 star astrea, 2 tonga nass)
5 crabs (blue and zebra)

The clown was the 2nd fish and he and the 6line get along. Will the flame angel survive and is it a 50/50 chance he'll eat the soft corals? Thanks.

other suggestions?

In a 16 gallon,I would NOT add anymore fish.Especially a flame angel.
Your right at your limit for grown fish now.

I agree, you are at a max right now with fish...and the angel would also probably eat your corals...so you'll be stuck with a double negative if you get it.

You might add a tiny goby if you are maintaining good water quality. A big fuge would also increase your capacity.

I wouldn't add anything more without increasing volume either with a sump or a fuge. Also, before you add any more fish read this. Some users as you will read, have had problems with sixlines being relentless with smaller fish when they are allowed to be the biggest fish in a small tank.

+1 Justin
You could trade in that wrasse if you have problems; they're goofy looking anyways! Kinda like a weasel looking thing that swims. Funny lookin' eyes too!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

even if you add volume by adding a sump that does not negate the fact that the tank is too small for any more fish. there is just not enough swimming room for them to be happy

yes if the wrasse was gone it wuld still be pushing the limits of the tank but could be done in a tank that small i would only have ne fish in it or two very small fish like fire fish. just a clown will get to big for something that small there is just no room to swim

James is right.Theres just not enough room in a tank that size.
But if the wrasse was gone,you MIGHT could keep a couple of the neon gobies.But I'm sure I'd even risk that with the clown.

thanks all. will stock with the current fish. will upgrade tanks when $$$ is available. have a buddy who will give me a 55 but don't feel like making the investment yet.

thanks all. will stock with the current fish. will upgrade tanks when $$$ is available. have a buddy who will give me a 55 but don't feel like making the investment yet.
Yeah the big expenses are never the tank. Your pumps, lighting, and skimmer are what is going to really set you back so you ought to take that 55 to use as a sump for a really big tank and just spend the money on the equipment once. If you build a 55 now, and buy expensive equipment for it, you will likely still want a bigger tank someday and have to buy it all again.

Yeah the big expenses are never the tank. Your pumps, lighting, and skimmer are what is going to really set you back so you ought to take that 55 to use as a sump for a really big tank and just spend the money on the equipment once. If you build a 55 now, and buy expensive equipment for it, you will likely still want a bigger tank someday and have to buy it all again.

Thats how it always works.
The tanks the cheapest part of this hobby.

Sure is. A lady that I work with was thinking of getting into the hobby a few months ago. And she was basing her decision of what size tank to buy off the price of the tank. I showed her what the rock, sand, skimmer and lights would cost for the different sized tanks, and she decided to get a 5 gallon freshie with some tetras instead :) She had no idea that the other stuff was so pricey. And I even offered to help her out with anything I had for free (my old Remora skimmer, some sand and a few pieces of rock).

Yeah I know the tank is the cheapest. The cost of lights is ridiculous. I was very fortunate to have been given my tank/light and some nice rock. Just buying the little stuff like test kits adds up. I knew that if I took that tank from my friend that is was going to cost me all kinds of $$$ to get lights, filter/skimmer, and rock to fill it up.

I now have two expensive hobbies: saltwater fish and diving.

Back