My 40 gal build upgrade!

bobby

I like to do bad things.
Well I recently picked up a 40 gal breeder in a trade. I will be moving everything in my 30L to the 40 and then everything in the 29 gal to my 30L, but first I need to build a stand, put in a acrylic overflow and drill the tank. There will be a few pics to come shortly with the tank and my progress thus far.

Let me know what you REALLY think even if it is bad.LOL If you see something that could be done better please chime in or if you like it let me know.

Here is the tank when I first brought it home. My wifes cat jumped in as soon as I set it down. He seemed to think I brought it home just for him, but he soon changed his mind when I got the spray bottle out to clean it.LMAO
mypictures989.jpg

mypictures988.jpg

Here is the stand I'm building. Keep in mind it's only half done and there will be more wood, trim, doors, and paint added to complete it.
mypictures1009.jpg

mypictures1003.jpg

This is a side shot there will also be a column added on the side. The white trim is wood also but it's cheaper to buy the trim already primered and since it'll be painted it wont matter. Just sicks out for now.LOL
mypictures1004.jpg

I will paint the stand with a maroon and white crackle. The maroon will be the under color and the white is the top coat. Here is a pic of what it will look like. Here I was practising on a piece of trim.
mypictures1011.jpg

Well let me know what you all think.

Bobby

Last edited:
Looks like its going to be a nice stand, not too sure on the red crackle paint though. Would have to see the rest of the home decor. In my house it wouldnt go with anything.

Ryan I was wondering about the crackle myself. I absolutly love the antique look but like you it doesn't match anything else in my house. It'll be in my bedroom though so it just has to go with the dresser and bed which are a medium oak.

I thought about staining it but theres just something about the crackle that I love.LOL

Your off to a good start. Seeing you like the antique look I think you'll like the crackle. I like the piece you practiced on.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to stick with the paint. Someone made a very good point to me. They said you see hundereds of stained stands, but how many custom painted ones do you see. I might even just paint it all white and do the crackle one the center of the doors and around the coraners and such just as a highlight instead of the whole thing.

Thanks rayray. If you lived close I would have no problem helping. They're not that hard to do though.....well I should wait and see how this one turns out though.LOL

Ok I have new pics and need some advice.

Here is the stand nearly done. The trim didn't turn out as nice as I wanted, but it'll do. A couple of the 45's didn't match up perfect.
mypictures1015.jpg

mypictures1013.jpg

Heres the not so perfect corners, but alittle painters calk will cover it.
mypictures1014.jpg

Now for the advice. Do you think this trim will look good on the bottom or should I use the same trim I used at top. I think it'll look ok, but not real sure which would look better. This trim is free as it's left over or I'll have to buy a new stick of the stuff on top. Heres the trim

mypictures1016.jpg

mypictures1017.jpg

Hum I don't know. My wife likes it without any bottom trim because it brings the top out. I want bottom trim and figured this one would still bring the top out, but then again the same trim on bottom would make it more uniform.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I decided to go with no trim at the bottom. I got it painted today to. Turned out good but I think I could have done better. It deffinetly has the worn look. Well let me know what you think.

mypictures1018.jpg

mypictures1019.jpg

mypictures1020.jpg

mypictures1021.jpg

mypictures1022.jpg

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it so far. Still need to build the doors and drill the tank though. Can't wait till all the works done and I can just sit back and watch the fish.LOL

Back