So I just got my tank and here are some pics:

DSC00970.jpg

All the stuff it comes with and most I won't use:
DSC00973.jpg

You can kinda see most of the tank, it has a Styrofoam 3d background:
DSC00971.jpg

And the background got ripped off immediately:
DSC00976.jpg

Already scraped off the glue, and made a eggcrate bottom for the tank.

The tank is about all I'm going to use, so it was kinda expensive just for a tank, but I had a $20 store credit so it helped knock the price down to $57.99, and I'll have a ton of stuff to start a fresh water shrimp tank if I ever decide to.

The kit came with:
The 7.9 Gallon cube tank with foam 3d background
Glass Lid
13 W Power Compact Light (Actually seems really bright for this small tank, but it needs to go)
Some water pure stuff for shrimp
Some shrimp water additives
Some shrimp food
A Bag of Shrimp Safe Substrate
A In-Tank Filter
Thermometer
Extend-able tiny fish net
Foam mat for under the tank
A Shrimp Care Guide
4 Plastic corners for the lid

Thats about it. So this should be a fun build, more pics with the light should be up soon.

I am going to use water from my 90G and some rock and a few hairy mushrooms to see if they will live under this light.
I shouldn't have a cycle since everything will be cured, thus 2 black clowns will be swimming in it Wednesday evening.

Tomorrow if I have time before or after work I will be getting some black sand. Its the live stuff in a bag. I only am buying it becuase its the only sand locally that is black I could care less about the life stuff that is probably dead because it sat on a shelf without oxygen for who knows how long.

Still need some Ideas for a light. I was going to do a Metal Halide, but it would probably cook the tank. I am now down to maybe dual Power compact lights, that might be enough for this tank since its so small I should be able to keep some stuff in it. Or I might do an all out sick homemade LED set up so I can keep anything in it.

Also need to figure out how I want to circulate the water, either small power head, or HOB filter space is a premium, so I got to find something small.

Looks like its going to awesome! You could do a killer zoa garden in there.

But, i do hate to be a downer, but i really thing that tank is too small for two clowns. I think one would be really stretching it. I think the clown gobies would be a better choice for a tank that small.

SO I am having a problem deciding on what sand to get. I really would like to get black sand. I am looking at CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand but some say be careful because it is magnetic, others say it isnt safe for soft belly fish or sand sifting animals. Others say don't do it because of the lack of buffering. So I don't know what to do. I would like to order my sand tonight so it can be here for this week.

Any thoughts?

Ok, the TMS sand is soft belly safe its the Hawaiian sand that's not since its much larger particles I guess. So I should be set to go with the black sand. I hope, the water changes should keep the ph in check and my water has tons of calcium in it so no worries their either.

Sigh, not a good night, the lid to my tank just shattered, water is cloudy mushrooms that got put in last night look bad, they got returned to 90 gallon, glass in my finger.
Filter that comes with the fluval says do not use it in saltwater, so its midnight and I got to go to walmart to see if I can find a HOB filter, I guess it will be better in the long run to have a filter, even a cheap one...Oh and I think one of the 3 hermit crabs in the new tank got burried under a rock, I tried to keep them in the front where I could see them but the water got so cloudy I lost track, I know two of them are in there but there hiding now.

What a night, time to go pull glass out of finger and go to walmart :(

Ok so here is a good update, I have rock, probably 10+ lb in there and it looks like I barely have any rock in it. Thats ok, that just means I can add more down the road. I got my black sand in, didn't need much of that either, went to walmart to get a cheap aqua something 5-15g hob, it seems to be doing an ok job. I might mod it later down the road so i can drop the water level about 1/2" and not have it splash everywhere.

One of my hermit crabs just came out of hiding for a stroll around the tank, LED light is great, only coral that is left in the tank is a detached mushroom that I have no idea where it landed, and 1 polyp that I don't know what it is, it has been living in my sump for a year, it hasn't opened up. I am assuming it will take a while for it to re adjust to everything.

I think its about ready to get some fish in it. water has cleared up a good bit already, it just looks like it has a haze to it but I am wondering if it is just because the LED's are so bright.

I also got my hydor PICO power head up and running with the spinning head. I'll be posting pics shortly soon as I clean up around the tank.

Back