My Algae Scrubber Build

WannaRace

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I've attempted to do this and this is my initial plans. If this looks like it is going to work on the opinions of others that have already done this, then I'm going to make a final system.

get-attachment-16aspx.jpg

Is the light shining through the acrylic ok? I have a pump feeding the PVC piping just resting on the live rock, the PVC slot is level.

Screen is 4x7, light is a 13watt CFL with reflector. It's about 4 inches away from screen.

How does this look?

I thought about that as well. Not sure if the drops of water on the acrylic are from splashing or me working in the area but I figured I could wipe it dry daily if necessary. Everything else looks like it would work?

Update: Its been 3 weeks now with 3 cleanings and my screen is still growing this yellow algae with brown strings. No green hair except at the bottom of the screen near the water level. Any ideas on what to tweak?

photo-14.jpg

Just give it more time, it took several months for mine to turf up, but it still took out all the algae i had in the DT even looking like that. So dont worry.

Ok so this is a pretty normal looking start? I thought all the yellow algae was from the light being too close so I moved it away about 3 inches from screen.

So its now been a month and no green hair algae. In fact, the side opposite of the light is growing green hair algae which I think is bizarre. So I flipped the screen to the other side with the light and the green hair algae is starting to turn yellow and brown. What gives?

Thinking about going to a 5x5 screen, with 13 watts on each side, with a maxi jet 1200... The cyano on my sandbed is just out of control going on 2 months now. Tank is relatively new so I'm just sticking it out..

Does anyone have SantaMonica's page that describes all the different colors on the screen and their meanings? For example, cyano on screen means...? Or corraline algae growing on screen means...?

Back