my anemone is shriveled

S2kdriver

Reefing newb
well i got a new rock to put my anemone on, and after a bit of carefully getting himm off another rock i put him on the new one. he attached but i didnt know and he started looking like he was stuck inbetween the glass adn rock, so i moved him on top of the rock and he was barley attached but he came off fine and attached himself within 10 minutes. well after a few hours he moved towards the glass agian and the top half of his bubble tips were extended but the rest of him was shrivled. after about a hour the whole thing was shrivvled. and has been since early yesterday. he was doing fine before, and i dont know what happened. also before when he would open all the way up, he would open for a few hours, get shrivled, then open up, and shrivel. was that bad?

also my clownfish still isnt getting into the anemone, well before he got shrivvled. i put him in the spot he used to sleep. but still dosent go in it. he was a tank raised clown and the guy that i bought him from said he has never seen a anenome. so help!!!!!

anenome are very interesting.... probably normal behavior from all the moving around.... my clown didnt host my anenome for about 3 months.... give a little more time things should be fine and the clown will eventually host your anenome.... then you can do the bannana dance like i did :bounce:

one thing you need to stop doing is touching it and trying to place it where you want it. its gonna move where it wants to go.. anemone do deflate and inflate themselfs also.

What are your parameters?

I heard that anenomes shrivle to expel waste and to get new water. If he is deflating every couple hours, he could be trying to get cleaner water into him.

But I agree, leave him be. Dont touch him because no matter what you do, he will move to where he wants to live.

Brian

+1 all the above.
Once the anemone is in the tank,dont bother it anymore.Unless of course it kills a bunch of high doller SPS corals.

You really shouldn't be moving it. If you happen to tear its foot while you are touching it (which is easy to do), that's a death sentence.

There's no guarantee that a clown will host an anemone, whether it's wild caught or tank raised. Some clowns never show any interest in the anemone. You'll just have to give it time and hope that he'll take a liking to it.

yea. well i saw him hanging off the rock and looked like he was just decomposing. i kinda swirled the water around him and he just fell off. so he died. it sucks. but my parameters were fine. but it happens.

Sorry about your loss. A few questions. What are your water parameters? How old is your tank? And what kind of lighting do you have?

Sorry about your nem, S2kdiver. Your tank may be too small and your lighting not strong enough for long term success. They just are difficult creatures to keep sometimes.

Sorry about the loss and sorry for the Anemone. Sad to say you harassed it to death.
Moving and touching your Anemone is what killed it. I know it is blunt to say what I have just said, but it is true.
Once in the tank. Never move an Anemone. Leave it alone and let it settle in on it's own ok.
Touching Anemones is stressful to them and you should never do it unless it is sucked into an intake.
If it is to close to something, move the something, not the Anemone.
Hope that all of you have just read this post and learned from it.

Ok got it. Never touch the anemone unless its stuck to a intake. Wouldnt it be best if you have a anemone only tank? Or at least that is the main focus of that tank? Another question as long as I am rolling along. Why do anemones put up with clowns? Seems they steal there food they bite them all the time and in return they get nothing. Leads me to another question why do fish keepers keep clowns they will attack your hand if its in the tank and will kill anything else you put in there. I always thought I wanted a clown and anemone but now not so sure. At least about the clown that is.

Ted, Anemone only tanks are great, but I find them a bit boring. I used to have a 65 BTA only tank and finally took half the Anemones out and put them in another 1 year old tank.
All clowns except Maroons are very easy on Anemones. Maroons are the worst clown to keep with them as they are terror's in red.
So I never advise to get one.
I have true Percs and Clarki clowns and they don't bother them at all.
They will take food from one (shrimp or silverside) and give it to another Anemone.
They do NOT feed the Anemones, They just put the food left over in hopes that they can come back later for a snack.
Only to find that the Anemone has eaten it.
So, clowns are just a pretty fish addition to the tank. Anemones do not need them to be happy nor do Clowns need an Anemone to be happy.
Also, none of my clowns attack my hands. they can become very docile one they know you.

ok thanks for the info. I keep seeing threads on here about how bad there clowns are. Was making me think geezze whats the point. I may get a anemone in the future but will be the distant future. I will not get one for a tank that is less then a year old mine started up in feb 09 so maybe next summer if all is going well and has been for a while.

If you tank is over 6 months old and stable, you can get one anytime you are ready.
I personally love having Clowns with Anemones as the co-existence is fun to watch.
I really like the Clarki as they get big, usually around 3 inches long and very wide and they are super docile with Anemones.
But true percula are also docile but don't grow as large.
I just uploaded pics of my 75 gallon and will put them in the right category.

Back