My Arrow Crab Rocks and other things I've found

jb61264

Reefing newb
Got an arrow crab Friday and he has been an absolute rock star...so much fun to watch.

I'm puzzled though, I read descriptions about him "after" I brought him home and they all list them as being carnivores. Since he's been in my tank he has done nothing but graze like crazy on algae and stuff in the sand...seen him also picking at life on the rocks (plant life) and jamming it in his grill.

Last week I received my shipment of 25lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and I am just amazed...and my son is 10x more amazed than I am. He has found some cup corals on one rock and discovered all these "spaghetti" worms that come out at night . We have two types of anenome (one which I think is the type I need to remove)...and last night I saw what I have found out is a "porcelin" crab (just slightly smaller than the size of my thumbnail)...there was another that was even a bit smaller that was a whitish (he scurried away too fast for me to really identify him)

Have some turbos snails in the tank and they are doing an awesome job of grazing some of the algae that built up during the cycling of the tank.

Sweet Yote I definately know where Ill be ordering my rock from if I dont hand pick it in Ohio. Bet the owner liked that kind of freebie, did it sell quick?

Sounds cool. Keep in mind though, arrow crabs are predators on the beneficial fauna that lives in the sandbed, like bristleworms. They will quickly decimate the bristleworm population, and bristleworms are extremely beneficial to have in our systems.

Sweet Yote I definately know where Ill be ordering my rock from if I dont hand pick it in Ohio. Bet the owner liked that kind of freebie, did it sell quick?

Sold with-in an hour for 150 bucks.
Wish I had of made that find.It would have been my 30.
The owner lets us keep any hitch hikers we find,we just gotta find them before he does.:grumble:

I could have gotten you a snowflake last summer.
I was putting the rock in the sump.Got to the last big rock in the box,and the lil feller came swimming out.He was 4 or 5 inches long and healthy.
it took nearly a week to catch him out of the rock sump.

Thats what I want when I get my tank up and running Ill let you know, dont have the 200 for that Brazilian at the LFS and he has a nasty temperment, the snowflake they just sold was that size when they got him and he was trained to hand feed.

That all sounds pretty cool. I have been thinking about the live aquaria lalo rock and the tampa bay rock, I want to get something. Yote & Bifferwine told me abopt them. the pickins are pretty slim right now where I'm at in ohio.
The tampa bay shipping sounded like it was 2x what the other was.
Can anyone confirm or deny that?

The tampa bay shipping sounded like it was 2x what the other was. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Not sure about "double" but I'm sure it was more and in this case you get what you pay for...they do an excellent job shipping rock straight from their site. My rock was packed in multiple ayers of heavy duty plastic with the rock immersed in saltwater...I am absolutely amazed at the amount of life I have on these rocks. I'll be ordering some more in a couple months to complete my live rock needs in my tank.

I've gotten the Lalo from Liveaquaria and it looked great out of the box. Unfortunately some of it died off and now hopefully it will regrow.

thanks Alto & jb.
I think I will try a little TBS first. Everything has been going pretty well so far, so I am a little worried every time I put something new in the tank. I don't want to screw it up and create a disaster.

I was the same initially and still am a little, but I have been getting a little more secure in adding things. My wallet notices this too.

my wallett is definitely lighter, but I love my tank.
I got 3 small soft corals the 25th, along with 4 small pcs. live rock (2.3 lbs. total) from LFS. A xenia type waving hand that is really cool. Also a polyp type that is light green, with the polyps abt. 1/2" dia., there's about 15-18 of them on a rock. And some little bright green zooanthids, I think.
They all seem pretty happy so far.

You will pay a little more shipping with Tampa Bay Rock.But when you get it,you'll know why and be glad you did.
There boxes are heavier.They make sure that there is enough water in there to keep the rock wet,not damp,but WET.Plus their rock dont set out of water.Once its harvested,it goes into holding tanks most of the time.And there are times it'll come straight from the ocean to your door.

Thanks for the reinforcement, Yote. I will definitely order some rock from them.
I have to tell you, the little scooter dragonet I asked about last week died last friday. I thought he was eating a little, then one morning I came out and he was toast. Rats.
A sixlinne wrasse I had in quarantine for 2 weeks has adjusted and is OK in the big tank. A small yelow tang and a Clarks clownfish have become buddies with him. they protected him 2x when my blue damsel wanted to pick a fight.

The Nova T-5's are making a huge difference in the algae situation. I have green now, and can see the beginnings of red( hopefully coralline).

You'll have several good algae outbreaks.Thats just part of it I reckon.
Hate to hear about your scooter.

Back