My bad experience with TBS

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
So I was really hyped to get my order from TBS tomorrow. I was hoping the experience would go smooth and no problems would happen especially for the first time ive ordered from there. Unfortunately it didnt go that way, he shipped my order early and it arrived today, I didnt get the notice until 5 when southwest called and then checked and confirmed by email that he had indeed accidentally shipped early. I wasn't able to pick the shipment up until after 10 hours after it arrived. So it sat in an open warehouse at 50 degree weather for 10 hours. I know it was just human error, but I was not ready to get the shipment on short notice, and had to stress through getting it all taken care of. On top of that, every box sent was leaking and all of the styrofoam coolers had been cracked and allowing water to slowly and freely leak out. Im really not all to upset but the fact that this didnt go smoothly really is upsetting. I sent Richard an email, hoping he will have some support as i lost several snails and hermits, also a cuke. :frustrat::frustrat: Oh, I don't want anyone to believe I am giving TBS a terrible review, I love the products the rock is amazing and the extras are absolutely gorgeous. Everything really is nice, I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem or has dealt with having to replace things from TBS

Hey Cathic, I moved you thread to Vendor Evaluations, mostly becasue of the nature.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them. I know many, many people on this site have bought from them without incident and have been extremely happy.

Personally I have not purchased anything from them. But from the glowing reviews, and the posts of members talking to Richard about any issues that arose, I think you can rest assured that he will make this right by you.

When I got my "package" from Richard, two of the boxes had cracked styrofoam and leaking bags. I talked to him about it at the time and he said it happens when shipping stuff. I wasn't too worried about it because I didn't lose any live stock from it. All in all I still don't think you can beat his stuff.

Yeah I didnt really intend for it to be a vendor evaluation more of a rant, and I still like the rock and other extras i got. I was more upset about early shipping and late notification to me (also not his fault) I am extremely happy with what came and would tell people about him. Just irritated by the other mess.

And TBS is? I haven't done much Internet shopping since reefs2go and the postal service fiasco where I almost lost everything.

Karen TBS is Tampa Bay Saltwater they sell rocks and stuff I keep saying I am going to get some stuff from them but I am to impatient to wait on it to come in the mail LOL

Karen TBS is Tampa Bay Saltwater they sell rocks and stuff I keep saying I am going to get some stuff from them but I am to impatient to wait on it to come in the mail LOL

With us living in FL though, we might get ours quicker!!! Oh I'm planning an Orlando run for the frag swap in July. Depending on gas prices! :frustrat:

The leaking is normal especially if you've got some big rocks. Those suckers are sharp and will puncture even through those multiple heavy duty bags he uses.

The early shipment is weird though. His communication is usually top notch. Hopefully he gets you taken care of. He's a real stand up guy in my experience.

I personally have never ordered from him but have used his rocks before through a local shop. From everything I have ever heard he is a top notch guy and it seems like it was just another one of those mailing issues.

He took blame for it, saying he had accidentally shipped it early. Again, I believe hell do everything he can to make it right, and I'll say it again the product is fantastic! Also, the rock ships next day so you wouldnt have to wait for the mail!

All my boxes were leaking too when I received them, but everything in them was still wet and alive. Like others have said, I was told by Richard that the leaking boxes were totally normal.

I wasn't worried so much about the cracks except that it had all day to leak out, the rock was half and half on wet dry in that particular box.

Just turned 58 this week, the mind goes first...LOL.....

So I was really hyped to get my order from TBS tomorrow. I was hoping the experience would go smooth and no problems would happen especially for the first time ive ordered from there. Unfortunately it didnt go that way, he shipped my order early and it arrived today, I didnt get the notice until 5 when southwest called and then checked and confirmed by email that he had indeed accidentally shipped early. I wasn't able to pick the shipment up until after 10 hours after it arrived. So it sat in an open warehouse at 50 degree weather for 10 hours. I know it was just human error, but I was not ready to get the shipment on short notice, and had to stress through getting it all taken care of. On top of that, every box sent was leaking and all of the styrofoam coolers had been cracked and allowing water to slowly and freely leak out. Im really not all to upset but the fact that this didnt go smoothly really is upsetting. I sent Richard an email, hoping he will have some support as i lost several snails and hermits, also a cuke. :frustrat::frustrat: Oh, I don't want anyone to believe I am giving TBS a terrible review, I love the products the rock is amazing and the extras are absolutely gorgeous. Everything really is nice, I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem or has dealt with having to replace things from TBS

Yup

was my bad...had you in the Thursday file, instead of Friday....and did it to a customer in Denver also. The good news is you both pulled off an unexpected pick up. And as I let you know in the email....the snails/cukes can take days to get up and move....so don't be hasty on them yet, you will not believe how many times customers have ditched live animals, like condys that go up and down all the time...thinking they are dead/dying.....so let me know if there are problems.....as you know me!

And leaking boxes is the norm in air cargo...every notice how you bags are treated....cargo gets a bit better treatment, but there are also many shipments that arrive without a drop leaking.....and then there are also the leakers, but 99.9% of the time, does not affect the rock...as it is used to the high tide/low tide cycle in its environment....

Keep me posted...

OK needs some pictures now!

sea ya
Richard TBS

Although I've never personally purchased anything from TBS, I do feel that I should put my:twocents: in. TBS has a very good reputation with quite a few members of this site. In business as in life, accidents do happen. It's the way the company or person handles the accident that makes all the difference. I'm sure TBS is going to take care of this without any issues

In regard to shipping, as a business owner myself and a person who gets equipment shipped on a constant basis, there's just nothing you can do about the way FedEX, UPS or any carrier will handle your boxes once they're in their possession.

Again, TBS has a great reputation for taking care of their clients, as well as being environmentally conscious. I just don't want someone to miss the opportunity to buy from a well respected business, or TBS to get a bad reputation because of this incident.

Last edited:
I totaly agree with PRC. I havent ordered from them persoanlly but i have contacted Richard about purchasing some LR and got a fast response. I do plan on buying some LR from them in hopes of getting a free mantis when i move and put up a new tank =)

Welcome to the site Richard!

He's right, whats up with SOME PICTURES!

Back