My battle against RED SLIME!!!

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Took me about a week to realize that the root of my RED SLIME problem was coming from my substrate. I've bombed my tank multiple times with that Red Slime remover stuff, along with a lights out period of 3 days. So I decided to give my siphon attachment another try. I hadn't cleaned my substrate for an entire YEAR!(I know I know... shame on me.) WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES THOUGH!! My sub looks terrific and hopefully it stays that way. So to everyone out there I send a reminder: Clean your substrate with your siphon from time to time. I couldn't believe everything that came up in my go around. From now on I plan on cleaning it once or twice a month. However, I've read that it can make other problems spurt up. So if anyone advises NOT to do so please tell me :P. Technically I should be using my protein skimmer to help reduce the organic material but I've got it sitting in my 29G tank that'll be getting started here shortly (I'll be posting pics). Cya Guys.

Yeah, crushed coral can lead to some water quality problems, and a lot of sand sifting animals just don't do well in it, so it's hard to keep clean naturally. If you move tanks or upgrade sometime in the future, it'll be a good idea to remove all the crushed coral and replace it with sand.

Back