My broken heart...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
One of my very favorite corals got electrocuted. I set up a 15 gallon tank and didn't have a light for it so I used a light that was kind of a bit too small. Two nights ago, I woke up late and was getting a drink of water when I noticed an electrical smell coming from my tanks. The light had fallen in my tank and was buzzing and blinking. It was turned off so I don't know why it was blinking. Got the light out, unplugged it (no moisture on the wire) so I didn't think it had hurt anything. That night just before bed, I moved my fuzzy big leather and a few zoos into the tank. No fish. All of the corals haven't opened yesterday or today. The leather is sloughing it's skin and I keep hoping it's just time for a sloughing but It looks just horrible and the zoos still aren't opening. I put a little clown fish in there last night (trying to reduce the bio-load in my 10 gallon) and he's doing ok. He keeps looking at the leather though. I just loved that coral. It's still in there melting away. I don't have the heart to pull it out. Darn it. :sad:

hate to hear that catherine, but even though the light was turned off, there was still current running through it cause it was plugged in.

Saltwater and electricity don't mix very well. I assume you DO NOT have everything plugged into an GFCI recepticle or breaker since that should have tripped it.

Saltwater and electricity don't mix very well. I assume you DO NOT have everything plugged into an GFCI recepticle or breaker since that should have tripped it.

It was plugged into a power strip that should have shut it down. All I can think is that maybe it was too low a currency? I had a couple snails and a hermit and they are fine. Just the corals.

C

A power strip is just a extension cord with lots of holes for plugs. Please, if you are not on a GFCI breaker or recepticle, go to Lowes or Ace or Home Depot and buy a portable GFCI adapter. It just plugs into a regular recepticle and will protect you and your tank.

A power strip is just a extension cord with lots of holes for plugs. Please, if you are not on a GFCI breaker or recepticle, go to Lowes or Ace or Home Depot and buy a portable GFCI adapter. It just plugs into a regular recepticle and will protect you and your tank.

A lesson learned the hard way. Thanks, ccCapt

that could save your life or house if it started fire

Thanks, Yote for helping me keep things in perspective. I'm never up at night and if I wanted some water, the bathroom is much closer. I really don't know why I felt like heading down to the kitchen but if I hadn't it could have been a really horrible situation for our whole family. Luckily, the one coral and a few zoo polyps are the only thing in the tank. I'll really miss that leather, so beautiful, but I'm counting my blessings that it wasn't worse. We could have lost everything not just fish stuff, everything. Thanks.

C

Sorry to hear about it Catherine! After my electrical fiasco a few months ago, I went right out and got some in-line GFOs. On another note, a guy at work lost a lot of livestock when his heater exploded (somehow) and electro'd the tank!

lightcs4, are you talking to me directly? cause i'm in that boat right now... gotta get me a gfci and replace the plug for my tank...

lightcs4, are you talking to me directly? cause i'm in that boat right now... gotta get me a gfci and replace the plug for my tank...

Nope, not directly. However, think about it the next time you go to stick your hand in the water :shock:. A GFI can replace the existing outlet or you can use one that replaces the circuit at the main box. Either one is an easy insurance policy. And for the record, I didn't think about it myself until someone in my local reefing club brought up the issue due to a problem with electric in his tank.

Back