my clown has a sick eye...

bnkeeling06

Reefing newb
my tank has been set up since august of '08...mostly the husband takes care of it, but I've been given the job of finding out what is wrong with my clown. We woke up this morning to our clown having one swollen eye...the last new thing we added was a sea hair to help control our hair algae and that was about a month ago...The clown was our first fish and she survived a 1 month hurricane evacuation with us...I'm very attached to her...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 34 Red Sea Max

Attachments

• small_001.jpg
    small_001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 722
  • small_002.jpg
    small_002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 857
Looks like Popeye, it may affect one or both eyes, appearing as if the eye has air or fluid trapped inside, around or behind it, causing the eye to enlarge and bulge out of its socket, as if under pressure. Duration of this condition can be anywhere from several days to several weeks.
A variety of physical injuries or non-infectious and infectious diseases can lead to this clinical condition. Typically, popeye in itself is not contagious to other fishes in the community.
To help aid in the continued health and healing of the fish during the course of this condition, oral feedings of foods soaked in selcon or another type of liquid vitamin, along with foods mixed with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as tetracycline, chloramphenicol or kanamycin are suggested. Eventually the eye will deflate, but may result in various conclusions.
Keep in mind that if both eyes are traumatized, the fish may not be able to see at all. The attempt to orally feed a fish with this type of severe condition is most likely impossible. Therefore, the fish should be carefully moved to a QT (quarantine tank) and treated with a broad spectrum topical antibiotic, such as skin absorbed kanamycin sulfate based antibiotics like Aquatronics' Kanacyn or Spectrogram, as well as Neomycin, and Maracyn or Maracyn-Two. Consult with your local fish store for more medication recommendations, as these are just a few on the market. We suggest that you do not treat the main aquarium, as many antibiotics can weaken or kill the biological filter.

Popeye is usually caused by either poor water quality or a physical injury. If your water quality is checking out okay, then he probably bumped into a rock (more often, new fish will get it when you move them in a net and the net brushes against their eyeball).

Usually popeye will go away by itself over time. You can medicate if you'd like (like Fishboy indicated). You'll have to quarantine your fish if you want to medicate.

I've had a few fish get popeye after I used nets on them. They all healed on their own. The biggest concern is that they won't be able to see their food and will starve. Sometimes they'll lose the eye (one of my pajama cardinals lost his eye, but he gets around fine -- he can only swim in left circle, and I'm not kidding).

Back