My clowns just started fighting..

avery155

Reefing newb
So my two clown fish have been getting along great for 3 days. Until about 5 minutes ago. They are both going at it nipping at each other, locking there mouths together swim and repeat. They were the only two clowns in the tank at the lfs and have been best friends until just now. They are about the same size as you can see in my tank build thread. Are they fighting for dominance or just hate each other all of a sudden?:frustrat:

Ok my clowns are officially retarded. I shut the lights off and turn the moonlights on and they stop fighting. What gives with these guys..

Yep, they are fighting for power...the winner will become the female, and much larger, and will rule the tank.

I've heard of clowns waiting months before they decide to engage in the dominance war. Mine have yet to do anything after 3 months but one of them was already significantly larger than the other. *shrug*

Yeah, mine got so bad that the would-be female did nip up the other one's fins really bad. But once he finally gave in to her awesomeness, they got along, and his fins healed up.

Wow you people crack me up. I hope one of my clowns goes all the way with the sex change! It would be a little awkward if he/she/it didn't for the rest of their tank mates!

On a side note... They seem to be fine, haven't seen them fight today, although they do separate to opposite sides of the tank sometimes..

Back