my filter is not working please help

Nimboli12

Reefee
My canister filter is making rattling noises. My husband took it apart to clean it a couple weeks ago. It started making loud rattling noises after that. We unplugged it. We are confused about how to deal with it. A friend said to take off the top , turn it upside down , take out the propeller and clean it. Having trouble taking out the propeller. Can someone please guide us through this

Ya i had a fluval on my 55 and it could get kind of loud when u get a lot of build up in that impeller, if its really bad your can get replacement parts on amazon for cheap. if u give us the exact model we can help u further.

The filter is an "ExteRnal Filter". My husband was finally able to take out the propeller, clean it and get it going. Unless you work with it all the time its hard to remember how to get it going again.

Ok. We're still having problems with this filter. My husband looked into it again and found the magnets under the propeller were HOT. When he unplugs the filter for a while and starts it back up it works ok.

What causes the magnets to heat up? The filter seems to make noise allot. We've had this filter for a year now. I think it should last longer than this. Im thinking of just getting a Fluval.

Also, does it matter which end of the tank the outgoing and ingoing hoses to the filter are?

I'm not sure why it's getting hot.

Canister filters are not usually used for saltwater. They actually can lead to poor quality, contributing to an increase in nitrates. They aren't recommended for saltwater tanks -- protein skimmers are much better.

I would advise you to just get rid of the canister filter altogether and not replace it. Instead, get a good protein skimmer, which will cost you around the same amount.

If you don't want to get a protein skimmer, I think going without a canister filter and just increasing the size of your water changes is still better than using one.

What ever you end up doing I'd have the out going and in coming water at opposite ends and point the return to tank water to increase water movement in the tank.. I'm not very experienced but I assume you have plenty of live rock? If so, I agree 100% with Biff that you are better off without the filter... I would like to add this and Biff will correct me if I'm wrong. I would consider filling the canister with live rock rubble and no filter material, ... and no sand (in the canister). This would be good for the tank. I run a Vertex reactor filled with live rock rubble and really like the added bio it is providing. My Vertex is basically a canister. IMO, even after you get a skimmer continue to run the canister with live rock rubble, it is just added water flow over live rock which is where the vast majority of the bio magic happens.

Last edited:
Yes. I have plenty of live rock. My corals are all doing good. Im concerned that if the filter wasn't working my tank would get dirtier. My fish seem happy. I have 2 clowns, a six line wrasse and a yellow tail Damsel. My water peram are also good. This filter is just a pain.

Wow. I think I'll do that then, get rid of the filter, just keep the protein skimmer.

Your tank will not get dirtier by not using a canister filter. Your live rock is the primary filter for your tank. A canister filter is not going to do much apart from mechanical filtration, but the nitrates it produces makes it counterintuitive to use it in the first place. You would be much better off with a quality skimmer, or like Biff said, not using it at all and doing routine water changes.

Back