My First Aiptasia!! DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Found the little sucker in the fragano. :grumble: It was attached to the base of a rock the size of your fist. This rock is covered in pink palythoas. I didn't care. I yanked that rock out of the tank and set it on a towel on the kitchen counter top. Hammer and flat blade screw driver in hand... WHACK WHACK!! :chair:

I took off a chunk the size of a golf ball to be sure I got the whole thing. Then I stuck it in my plastic fraggin' bowl and gave it a 130F freshwater bath until it melted and turned to goo. Took about 15 or 20 minutes. It wasn't necessary, but I was mad. I finally dug and chopped at it for a bit with an exacto blade before tossing the whole thing down the garbage disposal with hot water.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for anymore. Thats all I need....... a frag tank full of aiptasia. Ya can't sell squat from a tank full of that crap. People are afraid they will import it into their tanks on one of my frags.

I have a fuge full of apis, id say a few hundred prob. but none in my DT thanks to the hardworking peppermint. They are really growing on me, prob more so than fire shrimps.

Altohombre, you're funny. :mrgreen:

I'm not fragging blastos for a long time. The small colony I have is doing well, but they are slow growers.

I hope thats the last of the aiptasia in my frag tank. The sucker must have been in there for a bit because it was 1" tall and big around as a 1/2 dollar. I can't believe I didn't spot it before.

Here's a story,I was cleaning a Koralia pump with a few aiptasias on them in the sink with hot tapwater.I was for sure they were dead.I put the pump back in and the next day they were back.All I can say is beware!

I busted that piece of rock off and sent it down the garbage disposal after I was finished torturing the aiptasia. No way I was gonna put it back in my tank.

sooo not to rain on your...colorful method of removing aiptasia, but i found that injecting them with vinegar kills them effectively. peppermint shrimp, i've found to be also a good choice. but hey, if you like smashing things with a hammer, that's cool tooo :>

Back