My first bad livestock choice

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So it had to happen I guess.
Went to one of my LFS's the other day and bought one each of these...

p-89640-sea-star.jpg

croceaclam2.jpg

The first night, before going to bed i went over to the tank which was only lit by moonlights and noticed one arm of the star sticking out from a rock and on top of one of my blue shrooms with stringy gooey stuff rising into the water. Crap. In the morning that one shroom was gone. Luckily the rest were still attached to the rock. And then this morning I wake up to find that my clam shell was pretty much empty. Sonofa! One little shroom i can deal with, but a brand new $40 clam really pissed me off. :pissed: So this afternoon I fed the tank and as expected, arms started to appear from beneath the rocks but that little sucker would not come all the way out even with the tank lights off. But at least now I know where he is. So out come about one third of my rocks. Even though I know where he is, of course he is at the bottom. So i finally get to the rock he is on and i pull the whole rock out with him on it. Gotcha! You bastard. So into the sump he goes, rock and all. Meanwhile I am now left with a mess, which really pisses me off some more because I had just rearranged my rock and got it to where I really liked it. Now i have to do it all over again and you can never get the same arrangement twice. Especially when one big piece is in your sump with a bastard of a starfish that won't come out of the holes! :frustrat: So I spent probably the next hour messing with that and eventually I was able to get that one rock back into my display tank. And then messed with it some more. Now it looks pretty decent. But man that sucked! All cause I wanted something to help clean my detritus. :neutral: Speaking of detritus, you can just imagine the junk i stirred up moving around my rock. Luckily my tank is only a few months old and I'm not heavily stocked. And I knew not to get the green one cause green ones are bad but he looked brown in the store. Now i guess he looks like a dark khaki green but it's hard to tell. I guess I expected the green ones to be more..... green.

You sure it wasn't something else? I have never heard of a brittle star eating coral or clams. I mean I could be wrong, but I have owned two and never even heard of it before.

Sorry for your loss.

Well, I saw him destroy the shroom.
Assuming he ate the clam. It was moved slightly, too.
Nothing else in my tank is aggressive.

If he's the green one he's the death star he will kill everything. Sorry to hear you had to tear the tank apart to catch him.

i have black brittle and the green one with clams and mushrooms and small fish there all good tank mates. Some mushrooms can get damaged easy and melt away.

clam may have died on it's own. My clams didn't last very long. Hard to find out what they need. Brittle just probably ate the dying flesh.

Back