My first death

VAreef

Reefing newb
Well I went to the LFS and got 3 of the blue-green Chromis fish. I eventually want 6 total since they seem to be the only fish I can find that will school together. Got em home and finally in the tank. Within 2 hours I was wondering where the 3rd one went to. Searched around and couldn't find him. THen I remembered a fish eating powerhead article I read here. Yep that's right where he was. Sucked up into the intake. I guess I should have gotten some of that sponge stuff to put on it. I guess I can say I am lucky that it was only a 4$ fish instead of a 20-50$ fish. Tomorrow I'm going back for some sponge stuff. I just need to make sure to leave the Checkcard at home. I haven't walked out of there under 100$ yet. Well lesson learned and at least it wasn't a real expensive one.

Brian

Sorry to hear that. I just bought 3 chromis today. I think these fish are so cool. Mine stick together and are always following my 2 clowns around.

I did the ladle drip method of acclimating them(I dripped a spoonfull of water into the bag every few min for an hour LOL). I'm thinking of getting another small bucket just for that sort of thing. The other 2 are doing great though and ate well tonight which I think is a good sign.

Also, I think my sally lightfoot crabs are mating? Either that or wrestling over something. I've been watching the tank for hours now. It's just to fascinating. Just a few more weeks and I can add another fish.

Total tank as of now is 3 Left handed zebra crabs(they looked cool), 2 Sally light foots, 5 turbo snails, 3-1 Chromis, and still 3 pesky damsels.

I saw the guy at the local fish store today who sold me the damsels. Wanted to smack him for telling me they make great reef fish and aren't aggresive. The poor chromis was probably trying to hide from them in the powerhead.

Sorry for your loss. I recently lost a 16.00 clown and a 20.00 yellow watchman due to a killer ph. Get the sponges there litteraly a life saver. Good luck.

I'd be careful with your sally lightfoots also, I have a pair and they try and catch the fish. They started out going after the smaller firefish but now they're chasing the clown and chromises too. I've been meaning to trap them and take them out because after doing more research on them it appears they're definitely not reef safe and will catch fish, but I've been too lazy to do anything about them lately. So it might be a good idea to try and remove them now before you get too much into your tank... You never know when those guys will turn carnivorous on you.

ouch I thought those guys would be a good alternative to hermit crabs. And they look so cool too. If they will only eat the damsels I would let them stay. I've been the same way with the damsels, been procrastinating getting them out.

The Sally Lightfoots don't get very big do they? They don't look big enough to mess with any fish I have or want. :pooh: , I really though they would be good for cleaning up the tank. Would they live ok in the refugium? Or would that be counter productive?

You can take a small trout hook and file the barb off,then take a small piece of food and use it to bait the hook.Then just go fishing for the damsels.
The barbless hook dont cause them any more stress than chasing them with a net.
Just make sure that you either file or break the barb off.

Hey Yote, Yeah you told me that and I actually bought some really small hooks and fishing line for it but never actually tried. I would mean to starve them for a few days before trying it but then would break down and go ahead and feed em. I am going to set the line on the hood so I will remember at feeding time tomorrow. I've been feeding them less than 1/4 of a block of frozen each day so they are used to feeding time and should go right for it.

"Little Devils" What a fitting description of them. I'll go try it now. Every time I go into where the aqurium is though I turn into a zombie and just stare at it. Wow it really is amazing. I just recently found coraline(sp?) starting on some of the base rock I put in. That has to be a good sign. I'm just estatic here and love watching it. I can't imagine what it will be like when I finally add corals. I may need to quit my job then.

Bifferwine said:
Or you may need a second job to pay for it all... ;)

I second that.

Speaking of Powerheads sucking up fish sounds so crazy to me,it has to be one heck of a vacuum or one slow lazy fish.Makes me wonder if 4 smaller powerheads instead of 1 or 2 strong powerheads is a better way to go.

LOL I really hope I don't need another job. I work enough as it is. Plus I wouldn't have time to enjoy it then. Anyone want to donate to my aquarium watching without a job hobby?

yote said:
You can take a small trout hook and file the barb off,then take a small piece of food and use it to bait the hook.Then just go fishing for the damsels.
The barbless hook dont cause them any more stress than chasing them with a net.
Just make sure that you either file or break the barb off.
lol redneck fish tanks on the next montel.

I did get one out so I am down to 2 left. It's not as easy as it sounds. Very hard to get those little pieces of food on the hook and to stay. They just nibble at bigger pieces and never actually get hooked. Was fun doing it though. I'm going out tonight or I would make a go at the other two. Should be easier now that I have some practice baiting the hook.

On another note my stupid snails seem to like eating the nice green and purple algea off the rocks better than the brown algae on the glass. Nice white trails right where all the new corraline was growing. I might be trying escargot if they don't get their acts together.

Back