My First dumb question

Axegod

Axegod
First of all, I have been reading this forum, and other sources - but could not wade through the posts to have a specific answer to my preambled question.

I am a complete newbie, have a 45 G tank that 36"W 24"H by 12"D. I understand the basics of aquascaping and plan on using adequate water flow to prevent algae and debris build up. I am looking to buy some reef rock and make some nifty design for fish and coral.

Q: Should I stack my rocks on or towards the back of the tank to ensure better visbility of the criters - ie) keep the action in front? Or will the criters do as they please and move and hide regardless of my good intentions and thats par for the course for all tank? Keep in mind the 12" tank depth.

PS The tank is currently empty and I will need to cycle once I get reef rock + Live rock. I plan on learning a lot between the time the cycle is done and the first corals/fish move in.

Cheers

Last edited:
First off, make sure the rocks are on the glass bottom first, then put sand in. If your rocks are resting on top of the sand, fish and snails can cause a rockslide, which can even break your glass. I know that has nothing to do with your question, but it's an important thing to point out -- rocks need to be placed directly on the bottom, not on top of sand. :)

Now to your question. Most people stack the rocks against the back glass. It's really the only way to keep the rocks stable and from moving around. That's fine, as long as you have powerheads to create flow so there isn't a bunch of stagnant water behind the rocks. The critters will still do what they want -- but you will see your fish out and about. When you feed, you will feed in the water in front of the tank, not behind the rocks. So the animals will come out to eat. And after a few weeks in your tank, they will become comfortable in their new surroundings and will have no problems exploring. Of course they will dart back into the rocks if they are startled or scared, but placing the rocks in the back will give you the best view from the front of your tank.

Thank you Bifferwine - I never considered the sand / rockslide issue and thanks for the confirm on the back-stack.

Cheers

My Midas Blenny hides in the front left corner of the tank itself and won't venture into the rocks....go figure. At least she is easy to monitor! :)

There are lots of ways that you can aquascape your tank. Stacking rocks against the back glass is a very common way. I chose to do things a little differently, with some stacked against the back, but I also built a huge arch/cave in my tank and have a large cove area on the right side of my tank. Some people have also built shelves with pcv pipe and eggcrate (the stuff you get at home depot/lowes to put under flourescent lights) and then stacked the rocks on the shelves. Some have gone with a more minimalist look and built a few islands in the middle of the tank. It's really up to you and the look you want to create. That said, a few tips in addition to Biff's tip about putting the rocks on the glass bottom:

(1) Think about things like flow and territory when you aquascape - you want to try to create places for the fish to hide, sleep at night, and establish their own space

(2) Use epoxy putty to secure rocks in place - this will allow you to create more interesting 'scapes without fear of a rock slide (take a look at my thread in the tank showcase section to see the arch I built with the help of putty!)

(3) If you want to have corals in your tank, think about where you will place them - some need lots of light and high flow (SPS), some need low light and low flow, some need something in between. You want to make sure your rock work gives plenty of surface area for placing corals at various places in your tank to meet their various needs. If you want a fish only tank, then this isn't such a big deal.

(4) Check out the various tanks in the tank showcase section to get an idea of all of the different types of aquascapes people have done - I found it helpful to look at other people's scapes to give me a better idea of what I liked or didn't like when it came to building my own!

(5) Be prepared to be frustrated and to change your scape many times until you are content - we've all been there!!!

Welcome and good luck!

Back