My first FISH

Piratefish

SPS Freak
Well I thought it was time to add some life to the tank! I got a green gumdrop goby. I did read up on him and they reef safe and easy to care for and peaceful. I am planning to only have three fish.
Does anyone have input on the gumdrop gobys.. tips, health and longivity? I have my eye on a watchmen goby and pistol shrimp as well and for my final fish a six line wrasse. Any input on this selection of concerns??? Its a 55gal tank.

Well I cant help at all, sorry! I'm so new I have an empty tank (net even water yet) But I cant wait to add my first fish! You should post a picture of it so we can see it in your tank. I love seeing them to get ideas for my tank. Good luck!

Dcantucson,,,, You are right I think... thats what i read or atleast its in that family I think???
green-clown-goby.jpg
This is not my fish, mine is smaller and much greener with reder stripes. Family: Gobiidae I guess it depends on who you ask!

It's a green clown goby. Aka warpaint goby. Not a scorpionfish! They are super cute. ;) No special care needed for them -- they'll eat anything you toss in the tank (it has to be small, obviously).

Pirate if it is like the picture you posted Biff's correct, it's a green clown goby. However a gumdrop goby is a Scorpion fish and they are two separate things.

Yes I have read that it is a green clown goby. The fish store may have been confused:shock: That is what my fish looks like.

Sooooo, is it normal for the first fish added to the tank to hide? I havent seen him today even when I fed him. I do know where he is hiding and I did squirt some food behind the biggest rock in my tank. Its the only place in the tank I cant see.

Those fish can be pretty shy. Clown gobies may take a while to adjust. You'd be a scaredy cat too if every other fish in the ocean was much more huge than you!

It could take him a week or two to become comfortable enough to venture out.

Well, I found him today. He was in the overflow. Yes he is alive, i fished him out and put him back in the tank. He looks fine but I will check the overflow every day!

Congratulations, thats a really nice looking fish :) try to find out if there is a whole he went through thta you can patchup, mine is completely sealed as i lost 2 fish in the overflow.

Well after I got him out of the overflow I thought i would never see him again. Tonight I was messing around in the office and feeding the tank, I saw him! He has been hiding in the duncans. I had just fed the 2 corals and I saw some thrashing around in the duncans(about 25 heads) and there he was. Is this normal for green clown gobys?

Well he is happy! I fed him again today and he is for sure living in the duncans. OMG it was so cute I almost cried.

I really need to fix the camera

Well after I got him out of the overflow I thought i would never see him again. Tonight I was messing around in the office and feeding the tank, I saw him! He has been hiding in the duncans. I had just fed the 2 corals and I saw some thrashing around in the duncans(about 25 heads) and there he was. Is this normal for green clown gobys?

They like any kind of branching corals,so yeah,thats pretty normal for em.
And you do need to get that camera fixed.WE want to see pics of the lil guy.:D

Congrats on the new fish! Very cool looking for sure!

When I first got my purple firefish...I did not see him for over 2 weeks. Honestly, I was sure he was dead... shy fish are just that....shy. Give him time he will come out more often.

Back