My First Loud Pump

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
So the new (actually used - 1yr old) Mag 7 return pump in the frag tank is kinda noisy. It sounds like vibration to me. The pump is sitting directly on the bare bottom glass in the sump.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever placed a thick layer of foam or even a sponge under a pump to act as a vibration dampener?

I have two LARGE Quiet One 14000 pumps in my sump and both are surrounded with foam to muffle the vibration noise. It works for me.

You can silicone 4 or 5 suction cups to the bottom of it and stick it to the glass. The cups work quit well for reducing vibrations, and keeping the pump in one place..

Isn't there a plastic slide with suction cups that come with the pump? Kinda like how maxi jets are. I have a acuaclear 4000 for my return and with out the slide mine vibrates like crazy.

The mag 18 I just bought came w/ a foam pad. LFS said it can be used in the tank to muffle it, but doesn't recomment it just in case. It's really meant if you're using the pump externally.

I found a place that sells replacement parts for the Mag Drive pumps. They have a big square piece of foam for the Mag 12 or the Mag 18. It's about an inch thick x 4 x 6 and costs like $6. Perfect!!

Yep I have a mag18 that runs my skimmer and a mag12 for a return in my 180. Both have the stick-on foam on them. Without it the vibration is unbearable!

It turns out my vertical return line right off the pump was doing most of the vibrating where I have it secured to the stand with a hanger strap. I loosened the strap and stuffed a bit of foam behind it. Tightened it back up, but looser this time.

That made it a LOT more quiet.

Back