My first pest

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well, over the past month I watched a colony of Zoas slowly disappear and I didn't think anything of it:frustrat:Than tonight I pulled out the rock and examined it closely and I found a couple of these little bastards:grumble:
P1000645.jpg

Zoa eating spiders:frustrat:I quarantee there are more of these on this rock so I tossed it. I figured it wasn't worth it and by throwing it, it probably will save me money in the long run concidering there were probably was spider eggs in this rock. Anyone else been blessed with these little beasts??

The rock, the beast, and my weapon of choice:fechten2:
P1000648.jpg

I am really paranoid now because I have some other Zoa colonies in my tank. However, they are on the opposite side of the tank and they have been doing fine. But I will be watching closely.

Nope,I didn't get any of them.Only the zoa eating nudibranches.
I would at least freshwater dip any other colonies you have.Remember to freshwater dip any zoa/paly additions in the future.Thats what I've been doing.

Nope,I didn't get any of them.Only the zoa eating nudibranches.
I would at least freshwater dip any other colonies you have.Remember to freshwater dip any zoa/paly additions in the future.Thats what I've been doing.

Can you please fill me in on the freshwater dip? What type of water, how long, can it be bad for the coral?

Thanks.

Zoas are so hardy that chemical changes don't effect them.I guess thats why mother nature allowed so many predators.

Just plain dechrorinated freshwater with pH and temp close to the DT.
5-10 minutes is really all thats needed.I like to swish them around to see what falls off.

Guess I've been lucky far as far as predators are concerned.I've only come up with mantis shrimp.
To be on the safe side,go a head and dip any of your other zoa colonies.
I just get the water outta the tap close to tank temp and let the water pressure do the rest.

sorry about the bad luck bryan. I hate to lose corals. I was crushed when I lost my digitada the other day. hope you don't a repeat experience.

freshwater dips are very helpful and zoas can withstand even a bit more than 5 minutes if you are really concerned.

-Doc

Sorry to hear it. Man those things look nasty I hope I never get them. Good luck with the removale.

Back