My first problems

ok so my readings are saying no phosphates but however if i clean the glass today, tomorrow will be back brown.
I understand that this is the period when the tank is almost to the end of cycle process and after brown i should start seeing green and maybe hair algae.
However it's interesting that on all the rocks i can see pink, green, blue and yellow colors starting. Is this corallines?

I know i must have a sump. But how long i'l eep seeing this alagae bloom?

Last edited:
I know it is hard to understand, but the distilled water didnt cause any your problems. They were building since the start of your tank. And unfortunantly, they will continue for a while. For a 2 month old tank, a diatom bloom is normal. (that is the brown stuff) You might not be reading anything on your tests because the algea is eating up all the nutrients in the water column. Since you were using tap water, you were adding junk into the tank. Then as you topped off what was evaporated, you added more because the only thing that evaporates is the water. The salts and other stuff disolved in the water just get more concentrated. So unless you are adding pure water, you are adding more junk too. It seems that you are finally coming to the realization that the people on this forum are here to help you and know what they are talking about. SO I wish you good luck with your tank :Cheers:and keep up the maintanance, it could be months before you really get the algea under control.

Brian

Ok, that's cool. You guys wont belive what just happened 200 meters away from home. There is a food chain called Loblaws and they have just mounted a Ro/Di water refiller fountain.

The cost is 1$ / 5 gallons. They are saying this is a limited offer.
So for now on my tank will run only on RO water
I am soooooooo happppyyyyy!

Now considering adding about 10 gallons weekly and my tank has 90 gallons. How fast i will run just on Ro in my tank? 9 weeks? Or the trace from tap water ill stay longer in the tank?

Here is an interesting subject i was reading about Ro water;

"For many years, DI/R.O. was considered the best water for you. The rational was that if nothing was in the water except water itself, then this must be the best for you. Nothing but water and nothing could hurt you.
Today we know this is not true for two reasons:
  1. Natural water is a perfect source for vitamin and mineral absorption by the body
  2. Ultra pure water is actually a very aggressive chemical.
I’d like to deal with the first point, of course, first. One of my areas of expertise is the precise addition of chemicals to water. If a dosage is called for, I get it there down to the tenth of a mg/L. In order to precisely dose a chemical, to have it best integrate, mix, and dissolve in the water, it must be in a liquid format. This is true to the point where if I have to deal with a powder or other solid chemical or a gaseous chemical, I dissolved it into a liquid solution with make up water before dosing it into the process.
In the same way, the minerals already dissolved in natural water supplies integrate far better into the body than do your multivitamins in pill form, and that is because of point two.
Water is called a universal solvent for very good reason. It will dissolve just about anything over time. That’s why it has needed minerals dissolved in it like calcium, magnesium and Iron. By removing those minerals and bringing it to an ultra pure state, you are creating a corrosive chemical.
Think of ultrapure water like a sponge. This water needs and craves minerals, and will get them from wherever it can. Water likes to be in whats known as an “ion balance”. The ions in the water that is in your body will move to fill the void by the new water without ions in it. The result will be a lower amount of ions in the water in your body as a whole. This works just like heat, which will move from higher heat to lower heat, leaving the whole reduced in temperature as a whole.
This also works in reverse. If your body has a lower concentration of dissolved ions, water with a higher concentration will impart some of it’s ions by this ion balancing process.
What all this means is that DI/R.O. water can be a problem, but it is not an acute problem, like high doses of arsenic in your water or certain pathogens would be. It is a chronic problem and can affect you when taken regularly over longer periods of time. This is especially true for women who are at risk for or are suffering from osteoperosis.
I hope I’ve helped you understand why DI/R.O. water is considered a chronic risk. I understand your liking of the taste, that is a personal preference that you share with many people. I encourage you to seek a medical professional to discuss this with them, and to see if your multivitamins and diet can help you keep the proper amount of minerals in your body.
If you need further clarification or want to ask another question, please don’t hesitate to write in again."

That is in reference to human consumption of RODI water. That is well known. Some RODI units will even come with warning labels that you are not supposed to drink RODI water straight out of the machine.

That has nothing to do with what is best for marine life to live in.

yes because the water it's going to be mixed with salt that will provide all the ions and trace elements and minerals.

Question please; beside Kent marine salt (this is what i am using) should i add strontium, calcium, magnesium, and all that, or the salt has everything?

The salt has everything (and Kent Marine is good salt -- I like it a lot).

If you have test kits for strontium, calcium, and magnesium and you test your water and find that you need to add them you can, but don't do it without testing first.

Here is an interesting subject i was reading about Ro water;

"For many years, DI/R.O. was considered the best water for you. The rational was that if nothing was in the water except water itself, then this must be the best for you. Nothing but water and nothing could hurt you.

Today we know this is not true for two ...
.If you need further clarification or want to ask another question, please don’t hesitate to write in again."

The idea is that mineral free RO water can start to dilute minerals from your body. I've read several doctors and nutritionists -they've said this is bunk. You can get most of the minerals you need by eating a handful of junk food a day. If zero-TDS water were so bad you would start to see health problems with the populaiton of Vancouver with their 30-TDS tap water (very low) but there have been no health issues. The CDC recommends RO water for people who already have health issues like comprimised immune systems.

Back