My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

BryanS

Reefing newb
Well This is my first tank. It has been up and running less than a month. It is still cycling so I don't have any fish yet. I know its not much to look at now but it is going to be a long process and hopefully before long I can get it looking pretty good. All I have in the tank right now is 25lbs of live sand and 20lbs of base rock, and 2 live rocks. I also have 2 turbo snails and two hermit crabs to help with the algae that is starting to pop up. I have one power head on the way a Koralia #2. I am now saving up for my lights and skimmer. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18486&pcatid=18486 These are the lights I want do yall think that they will be able to support a wide array of stuff.

I'm still very new at this so if yall have any tips or suggestions please let me have them.

Attachments

• CIMG0203.jpg
    CIMG0203.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 347
  • CIMG0229.jpg
    CIMG0229.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 372
here are a couple more pics

Attachments

• CIMG0232.jpg
    CIMG0232.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 321
  • CIMG0233.jpg
    CIMG0233.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 305
  • CIMG0239.jpg
    CIMG0239.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 388
Your dry rock will be seeded in no time. It looks like you're off to a good start!

Those lights will be perfect for your tank.

Very good start, light system is an excellent choice for your 29. Should be fine for most all you want to keep. Keep us posted.

Well I painted the back of my tank today. I decided to go with blue but I wish it would have turned out a little darker but I like it. Now that I have that out of the way I'm just waiting on my powerhead to get here. Then I can start saving up for my lights and skimmer.

Attachments

• CIMG0258.jpg
    CIMG0258.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 350
Great start BryanS. Other than my 5gal SW Eclipse, I also have a 37gal FW with Eclipse 3 hood. So, I have a question concerning your lighting...if I'm not mistaken you too currently have an Eclipse hood on your tank and using the filtration system. Do you plan to modify the hood to incorporate the DrFs lighting you plan to buy? And, are you planning on a HoB Skimmer? There's not a lot of room on an Eclipse hood to put stuff like that.

No, when I get my lights and skimmer I am planning on getting rid of the hood completely and just use something like egg crate to cover the top. And yes I'm getting a HOB skimmer.

Well I ordered my lights today. Now all I need to do is get me a skimmer, fish, and some corals. I cant wait for everything to get here. I'm already having fun just watching my snails and crabs, I cant imagine how I'm going be when I get my fish and corals.

My powerhead cam in today and my lights shou be here Tuesday so I cant wait. My tank is also almost done cycling so I should beable to add a couple of fish and a coral or two. It is thaking a little longer than I hoped but I guess everything can't happen fast.

Waiting on the cycle is a pain.It took my old 55 nearly 2-1/2 months to cycle.
But look at it like this,The most relaxing part of the tank,is going to be the cycle:mrgreen:

I just got my lights!:bounce: I'm happy with them the only thing is I was going to get my skimmer when I got my lights, so after they came in I went to the LFS and they sold my skimmer this morning. So I'm going to try to find one today. I want an Octopus HOB so if anyone has seen any lately for a good price please let me know. I'll just have to wait on it to come in. I will get some pictures of my lights up tonight.

I cant wait to get some fish and corals. I have one qeustion while I'm on here. I have been reading on here where flakes and pellets are not a good food to feed. Can someone tell my why? My first fish is going to be a ocellaris clown so what would be the best food for them?

Thanks for all the help

pellets and flake have ash in them which can cause problems with water quailty. i feed mysis or marine cusine when i actually fee my tank.

I tired to show the lights with the different bulbs on, but the camera's flash didnt allow the color to show up. I'll try to find out how to turn the flash off.

Attachments

• CIMG0285.jpg
    CIMG0285.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 297
  • CIMG0286.jpg
    CIMG0286.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 277
  • CIMG0287.jpg
    CIMG0287.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 281
Well it has been a very long time since I have posted anything. There are several reasons why, first my girlfriend and I broke up which put me paying all the rent which left me with no extra money being the biggest reason. Which led me to having to break down my tank and storing my my tank, rocks, sand powerheads. Sometime during all my stuff being stored my lights and went missing someone has taken them so I now have to rebuy my lights which sucks extremly bad.

Well now I'm back to setting up my tank I set it up today so let cycling begin all over again.

This time I would like to buy a rodi system instead of having to buy water again. Can someone please tell me what i need to be looking for as far as brands, and good websites to maybe buy them from. And how hard are they to install.

Back