My First Rocks

Updated pics:

FirstRocksl.JPG

Panoramic view from left too right:

FirstRocksm.JPG

FirstRocksn.JPG

FirstRockso.JPG

FirstRocksp.JPG

I just hope I have enough light to keep all that beautiful coraline alive. I am a bit worried that it will die off. The tank it was in had 4 MH lights 175w each. Thats 5.6w/gallon and I've only got about 4.3w/gallon with my PC fluorescents.

I placed the shrooms up near the top. As close to the lights as I could get them. They are not opening fully. They have been in the tank about 8hrs now and I've yet to see any of the 3 shrooms open more than maybe 15%--20%.

Should I move them down into deeper water to lessen the intensity?

Sounds silly doesn't it? I'm worried that the shrooms have too much light and the coraline hasn't got enough. Just being a worry-wart. :shock:

I think I would move the shrooms down.They dont really like being blasted with a lot of light.

And heres a little something to think about on your coraline.Mine has always started out growing in the shady parts of my rock before it did in the brighter light.

Tank looks great and the new rock looks great too.

You can put the schrooms anywhere under PC's.It might take a week or so before they totally expand.Don't fret,schrooms are very hardy.You should get good coralline growth under PC's.

I got a white slime on one of the original pieces of lace rock that I placed in the tank a couple days ago. To my knowledge, this was dry lace rock. I pulled it out of a box and brought it home. I put it in my shower and turned the adjustable shower head to the water jet/blast setting. I have one of those shower heads on a flexible hose. It's a 6' hose and reaches all the way to the bottom of the tub. Anyway, I turned that sucker on super blast and went over this piece of lace rock for a good 20 minutes. I blasted out all kinds of muck and mud from the piece. Thought I got it pretty clean.

Look closely at this piece in the pic. If you look towards the bottom of the pic--smack in the middle--you can see what looks like a heavy white slime. Kinda looks like heavy/thick spider webs.

WhiteSlimeb.JPG

WhiteSlimea.JPG

FirstRocksm.JPG

Do I need to freak out yet? :shock:

Last edited:
Found another invert on the new live rock I bought today.

Right now, it's just a white bulb. It' must be retracted. Kinda curious to see what it looks like when it opens up.

It's just left of center in the rock. It's about 1/4" or 3/8" diameter.

WhiteInvert.JPG

Oh boy! :shock: Whats this?

It's directly above the fish's head. Looks like an exo-skeloton to me. It's moving very slowly. It's the white work-like thing. About an inch long with what appears to be a segmented exo-skeloton.

Mystery.JPG

I'm not sure about the white slime.My guess is some kind of decaying matter.
The white blob is a sponge-reef safe.
I have no idea what that thing is by the damsel.

The slime on the lace rock is probably where something from your live rock molted.
The white blob on the live is a sponge. Like Reef said,its reef safe and actually good for your tank.
The thing above the damsils head is a chiton.There a harmless grazer that feeds on algae.It will change colors to match the color of the rock its on.I have about 30 of em in my 75,that ive noticed so far.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking maybe that worm thing was a gastropod. ??

I don't know if I should knock that slime loose and suck it out with the gravel vac or let it be. It looks like rotting organic matter to me. Seams like that much rotting organic matter would cause problems. The damsel picks at it and eats it once in awhile. Gross!!

How come I've never had a chiton in my tank? No fair!

Beginners luck. :mrgreen:

It was on those matured rocks that I bought from another local reefer yesterday.

I've since found a few snails, some type of worm that appears to be about 2" long and 1/8" diameter. The worm hides in a hole inside a rock and comes out when I turn off the daylights and just run the actenic for a couple hours at night. Found a sponge of some sort. About 50 little duster type things. They have hard calcium shells/tubes and are attached to the rocks. They are bright red and look like a feather duster when they come out. They are tiny--shells are only about 1/16" diameter.

Damn!! I'm never buying "live" rocks from a LFS again. I got such a good deal on this mature rock for $3/lb and it's just crawling with life. I hope my tank is stable and I don't loose all of it. I'm still kinda freaked out about an ammonia spike. I basically went from NO rock to 39 pounds of rock in 4 days. :shock:

I'm kinda worried about that big piece of lace rock that is covered in white slime. I don't know whats causing it, but it's getting worse. It's only on this one big 10lb piece of lace rock.

WhiteSlimee.JPG

WhiteSlimed.JPG

WhiteSlimec.JPG

Anyone got any ideas?

Someone mentioned earlier that something (a different piece of live rock) may have molted. I am starting to think that may not be the case. I'm starting to get seriously worried about this. I know that this is organic. I know it's not supposed to be there. I know it's gonna die or fall off the rock and dump a huge load of rotten organics into my tank.

Help!! :frustrat:

I was about to yank it out last night at midnight. But didn't want to jump and do anything foolish.

Don't know what to do.

Pull it out and give it another freshwater bath?
Pull it out, freshwater bath, set it in the sun for a month to dry out?
Bleach bath?
Trashcan?

:confused:

Thanks Yote

very nice..i like it a lot rcpylot, i agree with the white stuff been die off..its normally in curing rock..tank looks great , its gonna be an awsome reef!!

Back