My First Rocks

RC
Just take it out and give it a good scrubbing in some fresh water.
You might want to take a close at it while your at it,just to see if you can ID it.

Called the LFS where I bought it. They said the white slime is organics that are decomposing. I kinda figured that.

I would have bet money that I got all the gunk off that rock when I washed it. Obviously not.

They recommended removing the piece and give it a freshwater bath w/a few tablespoons of bleach in a 5g bucket overnight. Then rinse several times and add a dechlorinator to the water with each rinse.

Kinda sucks to yank it out and bleach it, but I'd rather do that, as opposed to frantic water changes to fix an ammonia spike.

It's probably just dirt. I couldn't see anything on it after I washed it. nothing alive. It's just dirt or bacteria.

Last edited:
My shrooms are looking snazzy today. :mrgreen:

I had that ammonia and nitrite spike from the dirty lace rock yesterday. Took that rock out and changed some water in the tank. This is the first time I've seen my shrooms open this much since I placed them in the tank.

My damsel is a picture slut. :sfish:Everytime I get close to the tank, she comes over to investigate and fan her tail at me. Aggressive little sucker. :grumble: Can't keep her out of the pics.

FirstShroomg.JPG

If you look just to the right of the shrooms, you can see what looks like a clam to me. It's covered in coraline algea, but it opens up just a bit now and then.

FirstShroomf.JPG

There's actually 4 shrooms on this rock. Look closely and you can see the 2 smaller ones in between the larger shrooms on the outside.

FirstShroome.JPG

:D

Last edited:
Back