My first tank - 60g

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Hi everyone, ive just found this website (loving it so far) and decided that I might add my own tank setup as has been suggested to me.

and i understand my tank is a little dirty, i currently have glandular fever /mono and have also just ordered a cleaning magnetic thing for it.

fishi511.jpg

This is my first tank of any kind and I decided to go with a salt water tank, not sure if thats smart, but its happened :)

If i remember right, the tank is 60g and seems quite big for me and the space I have available in my room.

Its currently running

1 fan
ceramic heater
probably 13kg of live rock
8kg of base rock
full refugem and sump

fishi519.jpg

and last but not least 1 sea horse, the second one unfortunately died when it stuck its tail into a live rock to find a crab holding on and ripping its tail apart, It wasnt able to heal and while only getting worse, stopped feeding and after a day had died.

fishi513.jpg

Im thinking of returning this single sea horse and changing this take to a normal reef tank with some more exotic fish as I can see seahorses need to be kept quite seperate.

There are no corals in the tank at the moment as its not suggested to put them in for a while.

I have some brown algae showing but i got told this was due to the cycle of the tank and will die down in about 2 weeks so its nothing to worry about.

So far im loving having this tank and already want more but i gotta take it easy and learn what im doing first HAHA

I was also wondering, on this small live rock it looks like a peice of green coral is growing, am i right? picture is here

fishi512.jpg

fishi512.jpg

In the end, if there is anything I can do better im happy to hear it, also this tank does make a bit of noise, i dont mind, but would be nicer if it was quieter.

thanks for reading and looking :)

Josh

Last edited:
btw sorry about the large images, ill get to fixing that :P

edit: fixed all image sizes, wow, really need to go on forums more often! but should be good now :)

Last edited:
Did you order the glass cleaner yet? Looks like you have acrylic tank-get the right mag cleaner or you will scratch it! Tank looks great though! Welcome to the site.

thanks, i have ordered the glass cleaner, ill take another look at what i ordered and make sure its not to harsh on it :)

Thanks everyone :) hopefully ill start putting some nice corals in soon, and we will see how that comes out, and ill drop a few more pics in here.

The little "Green Coral" thing kinda looks like a Torch Coral maybe even a small frogspawn. If you get a close up of it might be able to get a better ID

hey john, i put it in the ID section as well, and ive chucked a close up on request from everyone, some members here think it might be a pest, others think its coral, so we see how that goes lol. It looks cool, so im hoping i can keep it :D

Looks to be a coral to me. My LFS has the same in their display tank. They look like little torch corals to me and the guys that work there. Exact color, shape and size.

Ill most likely be heading in tomorrow to get a few corals and some fish, so ill post some updated pictures on here when I get home :D cant wait.

Alrighty, i got a few more pics to show you guys :)

One of the fish i picked up, I cant remember what his name was but lol

newreef011.jpg

I also got a couple of clown fish, here are a few pcis of them

newreef007.jpg

newreef006.jpg

newreef005.jpg

This is the Zoo coral

001gm.jpg

i got a large leather but he isnt open just yet

newreef012.jpg

cant remember which coral this was, but quite nice

newreef003.jpg

and here are my last two corals :) probably my favorites so far

newreef001.jpg

Finally got some nice fish and coral in this tank, so its starting to look quite good

Back