My first tank!!

BL1

So, I posted on here a month or so ago looking for advice on a tank setup. And I was planning on getting a 40g, then thought maybe I should just jump up to a 55g .... Well, in the end I decided that where I want my tank to go, I just don't have that much room. So, I decided on an All-in-one. And I was originally was going to get the lower model, but I decided to wait and not sacrifice what I really wanted. Well, I go onto MarineDepot that night and what do you know, they had an awesome deal just waiting for me. I finally got it in today, when I saw it in the garage I was all like :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::^::^::^:.
My roommate thought I was retarded. Unfortunately, I got home late tonight and I have to translate a paper into russian for class tomorrow ... so until then the pics I've posted are I've gotten to see of the tank so far too :frustrat:.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 278
Thanks, it'll be awhile, I'm not getting my live rock for another two weeks, but there will be a few mods/builds going into it before I start putting anything in.

Thanks, it'll be awhile, I'm not getting my live rock for another two weeks, but there will be a few mods/builds going into it before I start putting anything in.

So that means you only have 2weeks left to get this up and going right? I'm looking forward to some nice set up pics. And good luck in Russian my son took that as his second language.

BL1,

You might as well start a build thread in the tank showcase. And if I can offer a piece of advice. Listen to the veterans on this forum, I'm just starting out as well and these guys have helped me immensely. They know what they're talking about. Good luck. I look forward to seeing your tank progress.

So, I came home today and finally got to open the tank up, I got the stand together and leak-tested the tank. Unfortunately, I went through the box and was missing the transformer for the moonlight LEDs. Called Marine Depot and they said JBJ should have a replacement out to me sometime next week. Next week I'll also be putting in my order for LR/LS from Tampa Bay, I'll be getting their "Package":
58 lbs. LR
29 lbs. LS
29 Blue Legged Hermits (not sure about these though, I've heard a lot of people
have problems with them)
15 Astrea Snails
2 Tiger Tails
1 Serpent Star
1 Peppermint shrimp
this is what comes in their 30g "Package", that CUC isn't too much is it?

I have a few questions for some of you though. Does the model Refractometer matter or can I go with the the cheaper one? Also, I've found API has two different test kits. The Reef Master and the Saltwater Master test kits, they both test for different things, should I get both? And finally, I was wondering where people get that egg crate from, I'll need some for a few of my mods.
As always, thanks!
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 299
You may have too many hermit crabs in that package. I'd halve them.

The model refractometer doesn't matter. I use a cheapo one I got for $40. They all work the same way, and if they are calibrated properly, brand shouldn't matter.

You don't need to worry about the reef test kit until you have corals. The standard saltwater one will be fine for now.

You can get eggcrate at Home Depot or Lowe's. In the lighting section -- it's sometimes called light diffusing grid.

thanks Biff,
I'll have to ask Tampa if they can change the package slightly ... I can't imagine it being a problem if I'm asking them to send me less stuff.

Ok, so I've got my refractometer, test kit and Tunze 9002 protein skimmer on order now. I was looking at salt now and I've heard that the two best are Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and Tropic Marin Pro Reef, any suggestions?

I dont know anything about those 2 salts because I've never used those.
I use either Seachem Reef ( #1 choice ) or Oceanic.Those are the only 2 salts that will EVER go in my tank.

I have heard good things about both Reef Crystals and Tropic Marin salts. I've used Reef Crystals, and it was a good salt. Both are a lot more expensive than the salts I use though. I use Oceanic, SeaChem Reef or Kent Marine, depending on which is on sale. I order my salt online from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products, because it's half the price of what my LFS sells salt for, and they have a flat ground shipping rate of $7 or so, no matter what the weight of your order.

I decided to go with seachem reef from Dr. F&S. Ive found a couple different answers so I'd like to know what you guys think, Do I need to have the water mixed and running in my tank for a few days before I start adding my LR/LS?

I decided to go with seachem reef from Dr. F&S. Ive found a couple different answers so I'd like to know what you guys think, Do I need to have the water mixed and running in my tank for a few days before I start adding my LR/LS?

Sorry about those last three posts everyone, the iPhone was not cooperating with me that day. Anyway, current update: My package with all my salt, test kit, and misc. supplies get here tomorrow. And I just placed my order for live rock from TampaBaySaltwater!! I knew that they would be a great place to deal with after reading about Dennis' build but, WOW. I placed my order maybe 10 mins. ago and have already gotten my confirmation e-mail and 3 correspondence e-mails from Richard over there oh, and my first part of package #1 ships tomorrow! I knew I'd be happy dealing with them but so far I'm ecstatic!

As far as everything goes, I had really planned on this part of the process taking place over the period of a month but, I figure that I'd might as well rush the parts that I can since I won't be able to force my tank to cycle quickly. Hopefully, in a day or two I'll have some pics to add.

Last edited:
Back