My Goni garden !

Lesely

Reefing newb
My little Goni garden !
No wonder I am called the crazy Goni Lady ! lol
photo 4.JPG

I have heard they are a very difficult coral to keep alive? is that true?
i have heard the same thing. We haven't had any problems except they can be temperamental at times. They seem to close up for a couple of weeks every so often, you think there is a problem and then they come back bigger and better. In fact we had the green one close up completely for 4 months, we almost threw him out.
No idea why they do it. They do like the sand bed to be stirred up once a week or so and they love to be target fed. We have 9 of these altogether ( fragging some of the larger ones) and they have ALL survived.
So NO I don't consider them hard to keep.
Hope this helps.

Goniopora won't tolerate a low nutrient system for very long without feeding. They come from the back reef areas in the same areas as Sarcophyton leather corals, they like sediment to sift through for food. Goniopower is a great food for them and other small filtre feeders.

Goniopora won't tolerate a low nutrient system for very long without feeding. They come from the back reef areas in the same areas as Sarcophyton leather corals, they like sediment to sift through for food. Goniopower is a great food for them and other small filtre feeders.
That's why they like the sand getting swirled and rocks getting blown off I do have a low nutrient tank & have for a long time. Well I assume it's classed as low. Nitrates undetectable - 0.02. Phos Never ever goes over 0.03 normally. 0.00 with Hanna checker ' they have been fine for 15 months now ?

Very interesting info...... So how mature of a tank do you need. Are they like sea anemone that should have at least 1 year old tank.

I don't think maturity is as important as stable. One of the first corals we had. Tank was 5 months old. But stability is the secret & seachem reef trace & plus as per instructions. This is the one been fragged. 15 months old
image.jpg

They need a dirty tank and food, plain and simple. They MUST be fed something.

And to the imbecile that started that 1 year thing with anemones, I'd love to punch you so hard in the bollocks that they're rended from their moorings!! :mad: Stability, not a prescribed length of time. If your tank's stable, give them a whirl if you know what you're doing, if not come here and ask. We'll just hijack Lesely's thread to answer your questions. :p

And to the imbecile that started that 1 year thing with anemones, I'd love to punch you so hard in the bollocks that they're rended from their moorings!! :mad: Stability, not a prescribed length of time. If your tank's stable, give them a whirl if you know what you're doing, if not come here and ask. We'll just hijack Lesely's thread to answer your questions. :p
The one year thing with anemones is more about time for the reefer to mature than the for the tank. There's not many people with less than a year experience capable of maintaining constant prams. Or even know where to start for that matter.

And then after a year, we can hit you with 'old tank syndrome' is the reason for not depleting nutrients to hold a nem.
I'm glad you said it because I was gonna say it. That's the one thing about the new generation of reef keepers that really irks me. If you're using crap water and feeding a high phosphate diet, you could have all kinds of issues. I'm having one right now with Boxermom's tank. I should have changed out the gravel and didn't. now it's bitten me in the ass but good.

I am completely insulted that you consider my tank "dirty ". I am fastidious in maintenance, run very low nutrients and have never lost a coral ever. I picture a dirty" tank as one that is neglected in parameters. & water condition I can assure I keep pristine water at all times including using natural sea water when ever I can. Hissy fit over !!!!!!

I am completely insulted that you consider my tank "dirty ". I am fastidious in maintenance, run very low nutrients and have never lost a coral ever. I picture a dirty" tank as one that is neglected in parameters. & water condition I can assure I keep pristine water at all times including using natural sea water when ever I can. Hissy fit over !!!!!!
Aunt Flo must be coming to town soon. :eek:

Back