my goni

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
i came home tonight with a surprise. one of my goni is all shrunk up, i started to check temp and it is ok. then i decided to check around the coral to look for any predators and saw nothing except for a couple of polyps hanging on the rear side of the goni. i looked closer and it was a couple babies on the sand. there are still at least a couple more growing out. here's a couple shots i took before the lights went out.

baby 1
DSCN2059.jpg

baby 2
DSCN2062.jpg

with the mom
DSCN2043.jpg

fantastic!!! great luck. I only hope mine does the same thing in a few months after the move. I have never seen that before, thank you for posting the pic!!!

-Dr Marco :sfish:

*thunk!*That was me fainting and hitting the floor!

Congratulations on doing something that very few people have achieve.I'm almost crying,I'm so happy.Now that yours are having goniophytes,it should continue on and on.I had one years ago that dropped babies a few times a month for nearly a whole year.Now that yours is reproducing,the goniophytes has a better chance of doing the same thing when they mature.

I'll gladly pay for some when the time comes(larger than a thumb nail).PM me if you ever consider it.

yeah, I haven't picked myself up off the floor yet. I have never, ever seen that. Awesome.

thank you everyone...as for selling the babies, i am still thinking about it. but for now it looks like it is going to stay in the tank but who knows i might let it go when it mature enough to be transported and if that happens, i will only let it go to someone who has a mature tank and knows how to take care of the specific coral.

thank you everyone...as for selling the babies, i am still thinking about it. but for now it looks like it is going to stay in the tank but who knows i might let it go when it mature enough to be transported and if that happens, i will only let it go to someone who has a mature tank and knows how to take care of the specific coral.

That would be me Kimoy.I've been keeping goni's with success since getting into the reefkeeping nearly 17 years ago.well,actually I started keeping goni's about 8 years ago when I truly understood there needs and the hobby in general.My goal is try the slightly easier red and purple gonis soon.

I have seen a pink one that I have been trying to get my hands on, but no luck. Reef, have you seen a pink one before?

i saw one here fron a LFS i frequent to a few months back. they were fragging it and yesterday when i was looking at the tank i saw the original rock the goni was on and saw a couple more itty bitty gonis. i am going back there and try to convince the owner to donat it to my tank.

please get it and post pics. They are SOOOO pretty. I haven't seen one in about 6 months. glad to know I wasn't hallucinating when I saw it.

Awww little baby gonis look so happy!!! Good job, I hear it is so hard to get them to reproduce. Mine is still small, about the size of a golfball :(

dose some strontium. i did dose when i first got mine. i use 2 bottles for about 3 or 4 months then i stopped. i think it helps them growand survived. this particular goni has been to 1 upgrade and 1 move.

Mine was bleached when I got it. I've been trying to nurse it back to health with target feedings of cyclopeeze and oyster eggs. The color is very slowly coming back. When I got it, it had one polyp of color left. Now there are maybe four that have color.

I've seen pink onces but don't know how difficult those are.I always read to make sure there is brown near the base at least or it could be possibly be dyed that color.

Back