my intro

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so i bought(some people might say stole) a 75gallon tank with stand and canopy with a wet dry filter a UV sterilizer a Red Sea Prizm Hang-on protein skimmer all the tubing 2 rio 2100 power heads under gravel filter(which from reading a lil may not use) and also a coralife lunar aqua light double deluxe 260Watt light plus some other stuff from a guy on craigslist for the awesome amount of $150 yes ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY USD yeah bargain
so now i want to learn as much as possible before i screw it all up on one simple mistake
so i would appreciate all the help i can get and am open to any helpful info
as of right now I've just read some info on the internet
and am reading BARRONS the saltwater aquarium handbook so any other material would be nice

my BD is in july so i would love to have it fully set and running by then BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE will i rush if it takes longer i wont be disappointed id rather it be done right

Hi and welcome. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Definitely skip the UGF. They only cause problems in saltwater systems. For substrate, go with aragonite sand, and don't use tap water. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

lol bifferwine i knew you were gonna be one of the first poeple to answer

im also thinking since today i just tested and found out that the skimmer is a little faulty that i may might as well go with something better ive been lookin at the AquaC remora ,you posted before on another thread that it a good skimmer have you used it yourself ? any problems

also is the trickle filter necessary ive read that its not really necessary with a good skimmer and the UV sterelizer as long as i have live rock and/or sand

too me it seems like a small hastle and a lil sloppy to maintain

mine is just like the one in this pic http://www.myfishtank.com/ProductImages/197.jpg

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Jcegt87,it really was a steal for $150.Consider picking up ''The Conscientious Marine aquarist''by Robert Fenner.Its considered the saltwater bible to many of us reefkeepers.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish: Conscientious Marine Aquarist

Skip the undergravel,they suck big time.That filtration is ancient and just build up detritus over time.Consider also skipping the bioballs in the sump if your going with a lot of live rock(1-2lbs per gallon).Bioballs are use for biological filtration-live rock makes a better bio-filter and it doesn't have to be cleaned like bioballs.The lighting will be good enough for soft and LPS corals.Congratulations again,consider the $150 you just spent as chump change compared to what you are going to spend from here on out.

i keep hearing-and reading about sump but i still doest quite click in my head i would love it if someone would explain it like if you were talking to a 5yrs old please :shock:

"condition of the tank"?? yeah i dont quite get the lingo eighter sorry

but i hope i kindda hit it

no water has been in the tank for about he said 6months as of right now i have not even started anything its sitting in my room empty

Last edited:
i keep hearing-and reading about sump but i still doest quite click in my head i would love it if someone would explain it like if you were talking to a 5yrs old please :shock:

A sump is a place to hide equipment such as filters,skimmers,heaters etc.It adds water volume(more water equals more stable)and many have a refugium incorporated into one.How's that for simple or was it to basic?

BTW, your wet/dry is a sump.

A sump is a place to hide equipment such as filters,skimmers,heaters etc.It adds water volume(more water equals more stable)and many have a refugium incorporated into one.How's that for simple or was it to basic?

BTW, your wet/dry is a sump.

nope PERFECT:bounce: i know what a sump is now :bowdown:

only one thing what a refugium ,sorry

A refugium can either be built into the sump (like, sectioned off) or can be separate from the sump and tank... Usually a refugium holds sand, live rock rubble and macroalgae such as chaetomorpha. The fuge serves as a "refuge" for tiny critters like pods to reproduce, which then overflow into the main tank and provide your main tank with a live food source. The macroalgae takes up nutrients from the water, which keeps nuisance algae from being able to establish itself in your main tank.

I used to run an Aqua C Remora Pro on my 55 gallon tank. That is THE hang on back skimmer that I would recommend.

The trickle filter is not necessary if you have a good protein skimmer and live rock.

Welcome to the reef.
Congratulations of stealin the system.
I think Reef and Biffs got you covered pretty good.

"condition of the tank" means how it looks. Does it have scratches?

LOL sorry I was half asleep last night and i tought you meant conditioning of thetank but the tank is in good shape no scratches and no leeks looks like these people took very good care of their stuff

Welcome to the forum, as you can see the advice here is sound and the people friendly....they are kinda pushy when it comes to pictures tho:mrgreen:

welcome to living reefs. that was one heck of a deal on that setup. are you planning on doing a reef tank, or fish only?

LOL well pictures are always nice to look at, and it seems to be all that the advice givers ask in return, is that we take and post pictures of our systems as we build and develop them.

Putters right.
Go a few posts without posting pics and you might start getting some great advice on how to grow hair algae and cyano.:mrgreen:

Back