My mag 7 is LOUD...it hums and rattles?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Over a period of time it has been getting louder. First it seemed that it was humming a bit louder then usual and now it starting to make a rattle noise. Sometime I can take the propeller out and put it back together without cleaning it and it quiets down but the noise will resume within a matter of time. Will a new propeller fix this problem? I think I am going to try the quietone 3000 once this pump has timed out. Any info would be appreciated.

I've replaced the impeller assembly AND the bottom cover on powerheads in the past. It seams to quiet them down. These were MJ1200 pumps. I bought the new impeller, the O-ring seal and the impeller cover.

Ask Evan (AdeptMrSniffles ). I think he just had a similar issue on a Mag 5.

EDIT:
My Mag 7 is loud too. It vibrates and hums quite a lot.

I may have read someplace, on RC, that the Mag 7 is notorious for being loud and vibrating a lot. The new Mag 9.5 is "supposed" to be much quieter.

Dont have a problem with my mag 7. Only makes noise when it is sucking air when the sump is too low. Is it rattling agains the side of the tank?

Check to see if the bushings that the impellor rides on are worn. That could cause it to become unbalanced

I have a mag 9.5 It's very quiet, but it's also new...who knows what it will be like in 6 months.

I tried Mag pumps in the beginning but sent them back because they were much too loud. I use Quiet One pumps and they are relatively quiet. I run two 14000 pumps on my Zero Edge.

Dcan I'm going to take your advice and buy a Quiet One pump the next time I need a new one. You've always had good things to say about those pumps and I certainly respect the honesty (we know you'd tell us if they were junk) and the willingness to share the love. Lots of people use good products everyday, but if they never say anything the rest of would never know to try those particular products.

Like me. I bought a Mag 7 pump used, because it was reasonably priced and came with a reasonable reputation. It pumps. But it's loud. Wish I'd listened to ya sooner.
:Cheers:

How are your return pipes plumbed? Like if you don't have a drilled tank it could be the pipe vibrating again the tank.

Back