My monster refugium

Tried the Marineland HoldFast epoxy putty last night. Is a bit of a ugly job, but seems to do the trick. (Thanks daugherty!!!) I just placed some in each of the four corners and this morning it seems to hold well. I just reinforced the middles of the bottom and side with a bit more in case. Tonight I will Silicone to make water tight and test once dry.

Silicone Type I is good to use right? It has no mention of additives for bacteria/mold control.

After letting everything dry, I did a stress test this morning. I filled the smaller side at the end with water. The divider seemed to hold well till about 3" below the top. I then heard a distinct sound and then the epoxy failed.

I am sure this is more than what the divider would ever encounter since normally water will be on both sides and pressure will be nearly equalized. However I do not have confidence and think this is not a good solution.

I may be back to a soft divider like egg crate or may ditch the DYI idea altogether.

they will do that when i made mine i had to fill all the sections in equel parts to even the pressure. when i firsh filles mine the baffles blew out. after all the sections are filled there is little pressure on them

My skimmer arrived today. MSX250 from Marine Solutions. It is overkill for my current tank load, but I have read so many posts stating to go big on this piece of equipment.

I have it placed in the sump doing a test run. The tub it is sitting in, will have a return cut in at 10" to keep the water level constant. Hard to see in the picture, but I now have the incoming water from the tank draining directly to this bin. Water will drain into to the main tub, likely via a filter sock. Live rock and a basket with some sort of macro algae will be in the open area.

I am in the beginning stage of building a new higher stand for my tank. This will allow me to redo the plumbing and eliminate the bend up to reach into the sump.

DSCF1379_edited.jpg

Last edited:
just a thought
what if you mechanically attach your baffels, like with some stainless steel L shaped brackets and ss nuts and bolts, then silicone everything water tight???

I had given something like that some thought but decided it just was not worth the effort. The Tub in a tub design is pretty popular with these containers and will work well with minimal build effort.

Here is my final setup minus a basket to hold some macro algae. I am building a new stand before I hook up everything. Hope to be done in a few weeks.

SumpUpdate.jpg

After you get it finished post another pict. I would like to see how this works. Very interesting design and I am enjoying this thread. Good luck.

Back