My mushroom thing looks near death!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I got them on Tuesday. TVNCG at LFS said to put them in a LOT of light and strong water movement. Yesterday, they opened huge and draped themselves over a rock like they were happy as a clam, today they are puney, black areas and look very unhappy. Should I move them? Do I need to feed them? My other 'shrooms are looking very nice. What's up?

Catherine

Well in my experience mushroom corals do a lot better in little to no water movement. Try moving them around and they don't need too much light either.

always ask everyone here when you need help cause alot of lfs will steer you in wrong direction cause they want to keep you coming back to buy more, not all are like that but some are.

Your LFS kinda told you pretty much the opposite. They prefer low light and low flow. I'd move them to the bottom out of direct current and see if it helps.

Fish stores suck
Everytime i am at That Fish Place in Lancaster Pa, I keep an ear open for what the attendants are telling people about corals

its almost always the same

moderate flow
moderate light

standard answer

meanwhile they are blasting everything with MH lighting, in 6" of water

ive learned to ask questions here and read up first before i buy

They are not all bad. Ours were all fighting with our local clubs because we were selling corals for 10 bucks a piece to each other. The ones who were nasty with us have went out of business and the one that is honest, is doing very well. He is even teaching a class next weekend at the beginners class MARS is holding. Catherine if you aren't busy you should check it out.

+1 for Oscar's Dad. There are a couple of LFS that are part of the local reefing club. They take care of their customers and give new comers big discounts or freebies to help them get started.

Back