my neme is stuck

beano

habitual reefer
So I finally felt comfortable enough to get an anenome. picked a nice one out at the LFS, aclimated it for about 4 hours. and when it was time to move it to the DT I took the little cup that I used in my acclimation because I didnt want to touch the thing, plus this is how ive introduced just about everything in my tank. when its a fish or some invert they just dump right out. but this guy has not come out its been 36 hours. should I be patient? can i poke him to get him out? i dont want this cup in my tank forever!

IMG00294-20100506-2301.jpg

I don't think 'poking' at it would help, per se.

You can move the cup and have more water flow directed into it - too much flow often causes them to 'migrate' to a more comfortable spot.

Just make certain the cup is very secure so that as it's crawling out, it won't suddenly tip, fall, crush or break.

Acclimated it for 4 HOURS? Geez thats a long time. I have heard you should never acclimate something for longer than an hour.

Somewhere on this site I read that you can take an ice cube to their foot to get them to let go of the rock they are on. Could try rubbing it on the outside of the cup...:twocents:

Acclimated it for 4 HOURS? Geez thats a long time. I have heard you should never acclimate something for longer than an hour.

I drip acclimate everything (about 1-2 drips per second) for an absolute minimum of 2 hours. Average usually being about 3 hours. 4 for inverts and corals.

I would let it come out when it's good and ready. The last thing you want is a pissed off anemone.

+1 Rookie

Just give it time.It'll come out when its good and ready.Might take a day,a week,or even a year:mrgreen:

By leting it come out on its own,it'll already have its foot attached to the rock,and will be less likely to blow around the tank.

+1 Rookie

Just give it time.It'll come out when its good and ready.Might take a day,a week,or even a year:mrgreen:

By leting it come out on its own,it'll already have its foot attached to the rock,and will be less likely to blow around the tank.

.........besides that cup don't look so bad! :D

came home yesterday to an empty cup, woohoo. so I'm looking around where is the neme? oh I see the plate coral found another snack (see my other thread for that one), oh wait there's snacks all over, where did all this tissue come from? where's my anenome? shredded to bits. I don't understand the physics, but I guess my neme walked out of the cup and straight into my powerhead. I know it happens but I really don't understand how it happened to me :(

it's a koralia so there is no real intake, I put my hand up to it and I couldn't even feel any pull. plus it's a few inches away from any rocks, anyways I'm wondering if there is an alternative explanation. neme was in the tank for 4 days. my levels are all stable. he looked jut the same as when he was in the LFS, I thought I'd he was dyingni would notice. my GF doesn't think he got into the powerhead but looking at the evidence I see no other conclusion. I have 2 clowns, watchman gobie, 2 cleaner shrimps, hermits and snails. the neme was just a little smaller than my fist and besides what the plate coral ate there were two small pieces of white tissue on the sand and one tiny piece of anenome about the size of a dime left. do nemes just disintegrate in a matter of hours or does this sound like butchery?

how can you tell if they are sick just by looking at it? most of the time all i see are funny extended tentacles and a nice looking nem.

I don't think a Koralia would do that much damage. It probably was that sick or stressed and that's what did him in. It looked fine in the first pic. Sorry to hear about it.

Sorry to hear that Beano.
But a lot of time we cant even tell that an anemone is dying until it actually starts coming apart.
They can decay in a matter of an hour or so.

oh wow. i will never get a nem then. thats scary.

and i dont think a koralia will tear one up. i have stuck my finger in one before and it just stops and doesnt hurt. (dont ask what prompted me to do this, i havent a clue) but its only mag driven

A Koralia could tear one up, but since the anemone has to be stuck to something to move, I think a Koralia would really only rip its tentacles apart -- not the whole thing, including the foot. Other types of powerheads (like Maxijets) can rip the whole thing apart easily, but that's because they suck up the water from the bottom, so if the nem gets near it, the entire thing will get sucked in.

Back