My Nessarius snails are funny things....

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by wontonflip, Aug 17, 2013.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I haven't purchased any new nessarius snails since first starting my tank 3 or 4 years ago...I thought they all died off....but once in a while, after lights out, out they come after not having seen them at all in months! Not even their little feelers LOL I just now saw one while feeding...alive and well! Always surprising.

wontonflip, Aug 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

RockStacker

That's good.
    That usually means there is sufficient detritus and meiofauna in the substrate that they do not have the need to surface and hunt elsewhere.

RockStacker, Aug 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

Mandarin66 Oh Hi

I used too see mine pop up once every 2 month :p

Mandarin66, Aug 17, 2013
  4. wontonflip

PsiStar VIP Member

Mine pop out at feeding time. I have 4 different sizes from maybe a 1/4" (many) to over 1" (4).

In my 50g ref which does not get a direct feeding, I used to bury a frozen mysis or algae cube in the sand with it deep enough that it is just barely showing. The only 3 (~3/4") that were in that tank would all find it no matter how far away they were. They popped up and immediately knew which direction to go. There is pretty good flow also.

The few really large one oft times go up the side of the tank in the eve ... look like big tongues.

PsiStar, Sep 4, 2013
  5. wontonflip

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

I haven't seen any in my 90g in quite awhile, but the ones in my 10g are very happy and breeding again regularly!

FishyReef, Sep 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question