My new 90 gallon reef tank

CDaubs

Reefing newb
So under the "tank" forum, a couple of weeks ago, I was asking questions about upgrading my then current system. Well I have replaced all of my lights with new ones, have added a phosphate reactor system, replaced all of the filters and the RO membrane on my RO/DI unit and decided to sell my old 75 gallon tank and get a new tank. Thus this new thread.

Here was my 75 gallon tank:

Attachments

• DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 11,870
  • DSC02006.jpg
    DSC02006.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 9,865
I was able to sell my old tank on CL a couple of days ago. I had the 90g sitting in the garage waiting for the stand to be cleared of the old tank. I went with a 90g because it shares the same foot print my 75g had. In doing this I didn't have the added expense of needing a new stand and canopy.

Over the past couple of days I have been sanding and re-staining my old stand, getting the new tank cleaned, plumbed and ready for the install.

I have been exchanging emails with Richard at TBS setting up my order for live rock and sand. As of today Richard advised that the first shipment of my "Package" will ship out Saturday. I have to drive 3 hours to the airport to pick it up, but "oh well". I'm sure it will be worth it.

In preparation of the new tank, I have totally disassembled my sump and cleaned everything. Replaced the filter media, added the phosphate reactor, added moon lights to my canopy lighting system and updated all of the timers. Over the next 6 months or so I hope to have the funds to replace all of my power strips and single timers with a RKL 3 system.

Here is where I am as of tonight:

Attachments

• DSC02026.jpg
    DSC02026.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC02028.jpg
    DSC02028.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,132
  • DSC02031.jpg
    DSC02031.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 881
Tonight and tomorrow will be spent making water and getting the salinity right. I will also flush the phosphate reactor and get it set up. I am going to leave the canopy off for now until I get the first batch of rock and my sand from Richard. This will also give me a chance to do a quick "spiff up" on the canopy with a little fresh stain rubbed in.

YES!!!! I will post pictures when the goodies get here. :^:

Thank you to all that have helped with my questions to date. This is a great site and a wealth of information is out there just for the asking.

Later :mrgreen:

Charlie

Oh boy, where to start? Last April '09 I was in a motorcycle crash and messed up my right thumb. Of course I'm right handed!!! Missed all summer of riding and the thumb didn't heal. Last Dec '09 I had surgery to reconstruct the torn tendons/ligaments that couldn't heal on their own. I got my cast removed 9 days ago and have a removable splint/brace I have to wear for at least 6 more weeks. :grumble:

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, setting up a new tank isn't easy with a bum thumb. Although it has been painful and my thumb has reminded me every day that I have been over working it, today really sucked!!:frustrat:

It began by trying to connect my pump with the return line from the sump to the tank. Short by 3" and no room to make it up. :grumble: LFS didn't have the proper size tubing (Darn it, we just ran out!!). Lowe's was no good either. Home Depot had what looked to be the ticket.

So I bought 10' and went home. I'm not gonna be short this time. Meanwhile I've been making water and filling the tank. So I get the pump hooked up and everything is going well. Except that my thumb is yelling at me. Seems it doesn't like lifting bucket of water up over the tank repeatedly.

Oh well, push on. Now I'm at the point where the water is starting to go into the overflow and will now begin filling the sump. I don't too much in there now because my rock and sand are coming tomorrow from TBS. I just enuff to make sure everything is working.

Yep, you guessed it. The bulkheads are leaking! :frustrat: I thought I had really cranked those suckers down, but I guess not. So now I have leaking water all over everything I just spent days cleaning!! ARRRGH! I am VERY anal about things and this is just not right.

So I had to pull out the overflow and drain the overflow compartment. No my thumb said, yelled, enuff!!! So that's it for today/tonight. I'll deal with the overflows tomorrow.

No pictures today, just a tank full of water. Tomorrow will be a different story. TBS stuff arrives! :^:

Later,

Charlie

Charlie, congrats on the upgrade! I can't wait to see how it all plays out! I am sorry to hear about your thumb! Hopefully it will get better soon!

OK, heard from Richard this morning. My first shipment is on it's way via SouthWest Air Cargo. Now I only have about an 8 hour day ahead of me. It's 3 hours each way to the airport and back, plus time there. Wish me luck!!

Charlie

Good luck Charlie! If the stuff that Dennis received is any indication, you've got a real nice surprise waiting for you in those boxes ;)

:-( Just my luck. Well, Richard said to be sure to call prior to picking up you order, so I did. It seems that the Air Cargo office is only open from 7am-3pm. My order isn't due in until 5:20.

Now I get to get up real early and drive down tomorrow morning instead! Oh well, at least I followed instructions and called first!!! :mrgreen:

Since this is my first time, as opposed to Richard's umpteenth time, I know when to trust the voice of experience.

Sorry guys. You and I will both have to wait till tomorrow.

Charlie

Cant wait to see how the build goes and I know you are having fun with the upgrade. Keep us posted and add picts when you can. Give that thumb some rest tonight!

Leslee, Biff and Hoops;

Pics will be tomorrow. Tank is all up and running with no more issues. I'm gonna leave around 6am tomorrow and should be home around noon or so. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and for watching along.

Charlie

:bounce: Back from the airport with the goods! :bounce:

Here is a teaser ....... :Cheers: 3 boxes of sand, 3 of rock. All are in the tank, really neat pieces of rock. Sand is teaming with stuff. Can't wait till it clears up so I can SEE. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC02037.jpg
    DSC02037.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
:^: Only been about 4 hours. Here ya go!!! Sorry, I only have a small Sony camera, not a $5K Dennis camera. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC02038.jpg
    DSC02038.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC02039.jpg
    DSC02039.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC02040.jpg
    DSC02040.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC02041.jpg
    DSC02041.jpg