My new Blue Jaw Pair

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so I got these for $110. They are a pair and came together.

The female is always in her cave and the male is typically near by. I never see the female eating but the male is always hogging down pellets.

The female has made a ditch in front of here area but it is a useless hole because tight now it is where my Brittle and 8 inch Sea Cucumber are always lounging.

They are so cool and I have caught my cleaner shrimp cleaning them at night a few times. I have been keeping my canopy down more often, especially when I am not home because they are said to be frequent jumpers.

Right now they are pretty calm in the tank and are friendly with all. Thankfully they are column feeders so I keep the tank fed well and everyone is happy.

Here are some photos and a video the shows only near the start of the Cleaner Shrimp cleaning the male.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcKBUerc2Y]Cleaner Shrimp cleaning a Blue Jaw Trigger at night. - YouTube[/ame]

Pair-4 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Pair-3 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Pair-2 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Pair-1 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Female-Hiding by Phastroh1, on Flickr

I tought these fish pick at corals ???

Some triggers will eat inverts like your CUC, but not corals. There are a few types of triggers that usually don't bother inverts at all, like the blue jaw, pink tail, niger and crosshatch. Those guys tend to be fine in reef tanks.

Im sorry still getting to know the lingo, whats a cuc ??? when you say inverts you mean they will eat my snails and stuff like that ??? or shrimp ??? the ones you said are safe with coral, shrimp, hermits and snails ???

so will the blue jaw also eat them ????

Just to add to it.

The chance is very low that these Triggers will target your Inverts. I have read in many places that the Bluejaws are colum feeders so basically they do not target other animals, sort of. I am going to get some ghost shrimp today maybe for them. I would like to try other clams and things but it seems strange they would eat them. They seem to like the pellets over the frozen cubes.

Personally I think the Niger is the biggest threat, the rest is very tiny. Typically these fish can be shy and so far they are in my tank. I have barely seen the female, especially since they dug out sand to make the entrance to their cave.

The male is always near the entrance but he is a wuss. My Hippo has been seen chasing him and my Foxface as well. The Foxface is big and seems to bully anything it feels is to close to him and then sometimes doesn't bother anything. I would sell it if someone wanted it. It is a beautiful fish though.

Anyway Crosshatch Triggers are very costly or I would have some. I find the Bluejaws to be very nice looking as well and I really love Niger Triggers but felt they were too iffy to take a chance in my tank.

I spoke with some really experienced local people before getting these. I still took a while to finally do it and so far I am glad. They are really stunning in the tank. It is like they are smarted than the rest of the fish and their eyes seem to follow you and say hey I see you what's up. Just wish they were a little tougher just to stick up for themseves lol.

I would not get ghost shrimp for the triggers if they are eating prepared foods. Once you start feeding them live foods, they may start to look at the other animals in your tank as food too. If they eat the ghost shrimp, you may have to kiss your cleaner/peppermint/fire/any other ornamental shrimp goodbye, because you will be teaching them that live shrimp = food.

Hmm true. Good notice. Something in the tank eats them because I have fed them before and they always are gone. I have seen only a few in my socks.

Back