My new Coco Worm

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
Went to my LFS today and picked up this coco worm and the orange mushroom.

100_0599.jpg

I love coco worms! They are by far one of my favorite animals in this hobby. I have never owned one though. I have never seen them for sale at my LFS. Ever. Your sure is beautiful! Congrats on the new addition.

Aren't these guys filter feeders? They are basically a big feather duster right? I have never kept one but would love to know more about how to.

Those are great looking additions Sunshine.
I think that the key to keeping Coco worms is having a tank with a lot of plantonic foods for them to eat.

I had one several years ago, I believe it was a Christmas Tree varity. Not hard at all to keep. I just used additives to help feed it. It did quite well for a long time.

Yours is very nice! :mrgreen:

I've had a coco worm since October and it's doing well (now). That wasn't always the case. Not long after I got it, I added a dottyback which started picking at the coco worm. The coco worm shed both of it's plumes (to my horror) but within a month, new growth started to emerge. It now has two complete plumes and is pooping every day, so I assume it's getting nutrition in.

Here is my question to those of you that have coco worms: Does your worm ever scrunch up it's plumes and release them. Mine does this almost daily and I don't understand why. I can't help but think it's a bad sign because when it shed both plumes, the plumes sat on the sand bed and scrunched up like that for a few days before being eaten/swept away.

Back