My new Coco Worm

Yes, but he doesn't look that good. He never has recovered from my tank drain. :( He's holding on for now but he diffidently isn't healthy right now. When open he's only about the size of a nickel.

Only 1 of three survivors. The other two were some plain ole green polys, and a horse shoe crab. My sea apple finally died after several weeks of hanging on. I tossed him before he poisoned the tank. Oh and I had lots of Aiptasia that survived. :grumble:

Sorry Sunshine. That's not so sunshiney. :(

No it wasn't ... I really liked him. He came out once, found him behind my clam. The next day, he was back in his tube. Than about a week or so later, he was out again, but never found him .. I left the tube in there, but no sign of him. I'll get another one when we get the other tank set up,

Ours will scrunch up its plumes for days at a time. Not sure why? We have had ours since July. He was doing great until some of his tube got chipped.Since then he has really slowed down on growth. Still doing fine tho.

Thanks pheasant29. Have you noticed any likes/dislikes for your coco worm? Flow, water temp, light intensity, tank placement (rocks or sandbed)? Mine seems to like mild flow and I've noticed that when the temp gets even a little above 78, the scrunching starts. I have it approx half way up the tank, tucked in a rock crevice.

I dont know how similar they are to feather dusters but mine is really happy I have had it about a month I think....? Time flies LOL

I use a TINY bit of microvore by squirting right in the blower once a week. Unless my evil urchin is trying to munch on his tube he is out a lot. He does move his feathers a lot but I have never seen it scrunch them.

This was him before I had to hide him in a rock to protect him from the urchin

5421311431_a577fbea26.jpg

This is him poking out of the rock now he is MUCH happier and safer in the hole

5442038953_80d08c3aca.jpg

Sunshine... the feather part came out of the tube??? Weird! Never seen mine do that.
I've had it since November.

Thanks pheasant29. Have you noticed any likes/dislikes for your coco worm? Flow, water temp, light intensity, tank placement (rocks or sandbed)? Mine seems to like mild flow and I've noticed that when the temp gets even a little above 78, the scrunching starts. I have it approx half way up the tank, tucked in a rock crevice.
Mild flow seems right. I have mine with the base in the sand and the top coming up thru the rocks. He likes to be fed reefs snow and cyclopeeze. My tank stays right at 79,to 80 degrees all the time. He is neat creature for sure. H can tell the difference from each fish. He don't like the blenny and will tuckup as soon as he swims up, but the Coral beauty can practically swin thru him. With out bothering him at all.

I dont know how similar they are to feather dusters but mine is really happy I have had it about a month I think....? Time flies LOL

I use a TINY bit of microvore by squirting right in the blower once a week. Unless my evil urchin is trying to munch on his tube he is out a lot. He does move his feathers a lot but I have never seen it scrunch them.

This was him before I had to hide him in a rock to protect him from the urchin

5421311431_a577fbea26.jpg

This is him poking out of the rock now he is MUCH happier and safer in the hole

5442038953_80d08c3aca.jpg

Gorgeous! I have looked at feather dusters at my LFS but haven't picked one up yet. I feed the coco worm phytoplankton and he seems to like it. I had an urchin last year and traded him in because he did such a great job of cleaning algae off the rocks that he stripped them bare, coralline and all. You could see his path every morning, white bare strips! He also liked to carry around the snails, zoa frag, really anything he could get on his back! Funny little creatures.

Mild flow seems right. I have mine with the base in the sand and the top coming up thru the rocks. He likes to be fed reefs snow and cyclopeeze. My tank stays right at 79,to 80 degrees all the time. He is neat creature for sure. H can tell the difference from each fish. He don't like the blenny and will tuckup as soon as he swims up, but the Coral beauty can practically swin thru him. With out bothering him at all.

Hmm....maybe I'll try the cyclopeeze. I've been feeding phytoplankton but we all like a little variety, right? That's funny, what you said about the coral beauty. My regal tang can swim through the plumes of mine also. I figured that it was because the tang is a pooping machine and the coco worm got the benefit of this!!

Speaking of poop, have you ever seen your coco worm do this? It comes from inside the tube and looks like really tiny mouse turds. It's visible with the bare eye but you have to be looking closely. I usually get my magnifying glass out. I can always tell when he is getting ready because he angles his plumes apart from each other to give it a clear path. Sheesh, can you tell I'm obsessed with my coco worm?!

Sunshine... the feather part came out of the tube??? Weird! Never seen mine do that.
I've had it since November.

It was the worm & feather. At least, I think it was the worm. It was 1/2 to an inch long with the feathers attached to it. It was laying behind my clam.

Back