My new Desjardini Tang!

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
So I finally got my Desjardini i have been wanting since October! I traded my sohal tang for a desjardini. I didnt expect him to be this small, neither did my LFS. My first concern was eating so I left him there for about 5 days to see what would happen. He is eating like a pig. My final goal is to have him in my 180 to replace the sohal. for now becasue he is so small I have placed him in my 80gal. Im worried he will get punked by my sixline at the size he is now. The only thing in my 80 now is my bristletooth tang that is very peaceful. however there has been some nipping and some small tears in his fins, most instigated by the desjardini because he wont leave the other fish alone. I will give it a day ore 2 and see if things tone down, if not I will have no choice but to risk it with mysixline who is not as ill tempered as some people have reported but still holds his ground.

Desmond2.jpg

eating some algae already.

desmondeatingalgae.jpg

Here tension is a bit high and you can really see how tiny he is

2tangseditedsome.jpg

MAN,He is small.
But he should be alright.

Yeah so long as i can get him comfortable in a non fin ripping tank. My other tang has been really really peaceful to every fish so we will see if it is just an initial territorial thing. He has been alone in there tank all to himself for a long time so we shall see if its temporary.

i would go ahead and kill the lights for the day and let them come back on at normal time tomorrow, and you should see little fin nipping once territory is established

That 2nd pic is cool. I would think the ctenochaetus will leave it alone, or at least not hurt it. My c.binotatus is really mellow. They probably just have to let each other know they're there.

great little pick up Alexander. I'd rather have a smaller fish cuz you get to see them get all growz'd up!

My thoughts exactly! thats why my koran angel is also a juv, though i reall want him to start changing. its been a year and a half, it will be cool. Plus the desjardini actually adapt better to aquarium life as juv.

I wish my new kole tang would strike a pose like that

Oh trust me its not a matter of the fish striking a pose, its all in camera work. that dang fish is everywhere. first fish i have got in a long time that does not go into hiding for a week straight.

Dude Congrats! That is my favorite fish. I must admit I am jealous...some day I will have a big enough tank......someday. Alexander I drink an "eye of the hawk" to celebrate your kick ass fish :beer:

Thanks simpleman. Its hands down one of my favs. that's why I had the patience to wait from October till now for the fish to get here. enjoy that brewski!

Are you sure that's a desjardini? It looks like a regular sailfin. With a desjardini, the white bars are only on the head. With a sailfin, the white bars continue down the entire body. Maybe because it's so small it doesn't have its "grown up colors" yet?

Sailfin: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/283_sailfinbschaible.jpg
Desjardini: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/284_sailfinelitephoto.jpg

That was my very question when it arrived. I have done a lot of reading and they look extremely similar when they are that young. However I am going off the word of my LFS that has been trying to get this fish since october.

Cool, hopefully it's the right one! I bought a very young sailfin several years ago, hoping it was going to turn out to be a desjardini, but no such luck :( He grew up to be a regular ol' sailfin. The desjardinis are so much prettier, I really hope you end up with one of those!

Thanks! Ill be totally bummed if for some reason its just a regular ol sailfin, but I'm sure I won't have the heart to get rid of it to get the fish I want after I put all that time into the fish.

I can tell it's a juvi Desjardini.It has a more yellow then the regular sailfins.She should be getting her freckles soon around the head area.

Back