My new fish died!

Tristan

Detritus
I just bought a Starry Blenny yesterday. i temperature acclimated it, and everything seemed fine when i introduced him to my aquarium. This is the first time it happened. i have added 4 other fish(2 of whom i released back into the ocean) and never had this happened. Im pretty bummed that an animal passed away in my aquarium. Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening? im not going to put anymore fish in my aquarium until i can get this right for sure.

YOu need to drip acclimated the fish for about an hour. Do you use a hospital or seperate tank for QT?

Drip acclimating works way better than temp acclimating?

i have no hospital tank.

i dont understand even my coco worm survived, but my blenny didnt.

Last edited:
Drip acclimation is better. Gets the fish used to salinity and other water conditions with less chance of shock. I drip acclimate for near and hour and THEN 15 minutes with the bag in the tank for temp acclimation.

Does your LFS give a warranty on live stock? Most will offer 7 days but you have to bring the fish to the store along with a sample of your tank water in a separate container.

no they dont have any warranty. they dont do trade ins or anything. even My coco worm survived with ease with temp acclimation. could my blenny also have been sick and weakened before i bought him?

Scu, I take an airline tubing, tie a knot just tight enough to get water to drip through 1 every second or something. I put one end in the tank, and 1 end into the small container that the fish are in. And then, I just leave it alone for an hour.

As it fills up, I may take a cup and scoop some out. I let it do this for 1-2 hours. The dripp disturbs the water surface enough to ripple it and keep oxygen going I guess. when the old water has been replaced, I take the container, and I let it sit in the tank water to match the temp (maybe 15-20 min?), then I scoop the fish out and put him in.

But sometimes, Tristan, you will lose fish for no apparent reason. I lost my 2 spot goby a couple of weeks after getting him. Might've beent he new skimmer I got that wasn't cleaned enough, might've jsut been coincidence. Dunno. But I haven't had problems in that tank since.

could my blenny also have been sick and weakened before i bought him?

Definitely. Which is why your LFS should offer a warranty. Especially if the fish just came from a new shipment. He could have already been very stressed or sick. Probably was. Also, the LFS' tend to keep there tanks at a lower salinity like 1.023, which is why I would recommend drip acclimating everything you bring home.

I find the majority of LFS the sell marine life don't offer a warrenty on it just because there's so much more that can go wrong during acclimation. I always drip my fish and my corals and have only ever seen issues once after i had moved my tank.

damn i hope this never happens again. The fish straight from the ocean seem pretty hardy. i just let them go because all the ones that i get will eventually get to big for my aquarium

Sorry to hear about the blenny Tristan.
But,you should never release fish from your tank back into the ocean.They could have some disease that wild fish havnt been exposed to.Either take them to the store (even if you dont get any credit for them) or give them to another hobbiest.

The fish that i released into the ocean, i caught from that same ocean. And all the fishes that are in my LFS are also caught in guam waters because foreign animals cannot be shipped here for that very reason, but i understand what youre saying. thanks.

EDIT: i just realized that EVERYTHING in my aquarium is made in guam. crazy!

Last edited:
Back