My new fish needs help and I don't know what to do!

storm

Reefing newb
hello, I've just got a new salt water tank.The water has been settling since tuesday so i picked up a pair of clown fish and a lemon peel angel fish today. The clown fish seem fine but the ange's breathing is very rapid and it won't swim. I acclimatised them for a whole hour and the temperature is at 24 degrees celsius. Is there anything I can do for it as of course it hasn't eaten because it is too stressed. please help!

What are your water specs? Have you let the tank cycle for a few weeks? The clowns probably can live thru the cycle but the angle fish will probably kick the bucket. Sorry, I would let the tank run for atleast a month before adding more fish, you probably have ammonia in the tank killing the angle if its a brand new tank.

with the little information you gave it is not clear what size tank, equipement, how long cycling, or parameters. if you have been cycling for less than 3 months you probably added to much too soon. the angel is by far the more sensitive of the three so do not add any more fish, start testing for nitrate, nitrite, and amonia. do not add anything until the amonia and nitrites are at 0 and water change to control the nitrates which will rise after the cycle has complete. each new live addittion will require the system to increase the bacteria population to cope with higher bio loads hence tank will again cycle to some extent. so go slow, test, and i would recommend a good book at this point that covers the new salt water system set up and cycle process in general. hope something here helps but you will or probably have lost your angel. let us know if you have further questions and keep us posted on your progress. welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Not to be mean but Ouch! to fast.As chris said the angel is probley a lost cause and the clowns are may not make it either.If your able I would see if you could returned the fish till the tank is done cycling.Maybe you could try a cheap damsel or two for a month to let the tank cycle.Good luck.I hope your fish will get through it all.

Back