My new LED lights. (AKA "cheap Chinese" ones.)

48" for a 55 is the standard 55 gallon tank size, not a long, so there are lots of options for lights. You have a choice between metal halide, T5 or LED. Do you know which you are leaning towards?

I would say two of these. My tank is 48". Two gives perfect coverage.

I'm still on the fence about recommending these to anyone. It far too soon to judge the quality of light and the longevity. Yes, I'm happy at this point but I have only seen minor, if any growth. I have softies mostly, three SPS frags and one LPS. Everything looks great but only one Zoa is showing any growth. To be fair I do have other issues I'm working on.

Well i currently have 48" power compacts because thats what i could afford at the time but now that my wedding is paid for i can start budgeting for something a bit better. I'd like to look towards LED's just because of the cost effeciency mostly, I've read the stickies on lights 101 and stuff and I understand most of it but I just dont understand how many LED modules to use, or get a single 48" LED bar, etc.. etc..

I would say two of these. My tank is 48". Two gives perfect coverage.

I'm still on the fence about recommending these to anyone. It far too soon to judge the quality of light and the longevity. Yes, I'm happy at this point but I have only seen minor, if any growth. I have softies mostly, three SPS frags and one LPS. Everything looks great but only one Zoa is showing any growth. To be fair I do have other issues I'm working on.

my tank has just starts for the most part. it's about 5 months old now give or take

Sorry I haven't take pictures of the mounting. I will do ASAP.

Many lights are dimmable, but that feature is one I STRONGLY suggest people get. I just took my tank out of blackout, and the ability to gradually increase light levels is awesome. I'm so glad I had it. Everything is back to normal and looking healthy. (except the blasted sand!) One of my Green stripped mushrooms did detach during the BO and has found a new home in a slightly shaded area on the bottom. Even shaded, it it fully expanded and looking good. +1 for the lights.

If you are getting these same ones, I would suggest 3 of the 120w units for 130 gallons. They do make 300w versions but I haven't seen prices on them.

A small update just to let folks know what I'm seeing.

So far the lights continue to perform as expected. No problems or issues with the units at all. I am seeing growth on some corals. My Favia, which has been in my tank for about 9 months, has never shown any growth before. It was a frag when I got it, and its not much more than that now. BUT...... for the first time it has grown! It is on the sand in the lowest point in the tank. It now covers the frag plug completely.

I recently picked up red and green Monti frags. The Green is definitely showing growth. The red, not much if any. At the same time I picked up a Chalice frag. It too is showing slow, but unmistakable growth. My Zoas are not fading away, but I can't say they have grown. My Mushrooms, Hairy, Blue and Green striped, are looking good. My Torch, after having been moved around a bit, is also looking healthy.

The GSP, though intitally bleached, is getting its colour back but may not be doing too well. Not sure. This has more to do with other issues as the unaffected area (90%) is looking great and growing.

Water Parameters are spot on as far as I can test for.

Again, I'm very happy with the lights.

Been a little while so I'll update.

Running Whites and Blues at 100% power now. ALL corals show great growth. Especially the plating Monti's. One batch started as a frag just smaller than a quarter and is now a good 6" across. Very pleased to this point with the lights. No issues what so ever.

Figured I'd updat a bit.

Still no issues with these lights. They have been rock solid from day one. Blues are running at 80% and whites at 75%. All corals and fish doing well. No algae issues. These still seem to have been a good buy.

I just saw where the price on these is even lower now!

Last edited:
Well its been about a year. I will be in Hawaii on the actual date, so.... after a year.

Case(s):

Well built. Paint is still perfect. No rusting. Not even the screws!

Power:

Cord lengths are good and no corrosion noted on either end. Cooling fans x4 are all working and the same volume as when I got them.

Dimmers:

Dimmers work well but I must admit, they haven't been adjusted in some time. No need to mess with them at this point. Running about 75% Actinic and 80% whites.

Bulbs:

All are working just fine. Looks good though I do have to clean the cover glass every now and then.

What else is there to say? They are working far better than my T5s ever did. No cracked cases, replacement bulbs, hard to clean covers or corrosion. I really think these were the steal of the decade. They have made the tank much more manageable and enjoyable.

So lets update this!

Lights are still working as designed. Cases still look great. I had both units out last week to clean them. All the LEDs are working. Level adjustments work fine. fans don't seem to be noisy. Tank is doing well now that its gotten past me cooking it. Fish seem fine, corals are growing. Still think these were a great buy.

Last updated in February. Figures..... One of the lights has lost the blues. The were working over the last week intermittently, but now they just wont come on at all. The other light has been losing the whites on and off though they are working now. Its been about 3 years on these, so I guess I've gotten my money out of them.

Going to buy new ones today. Still going the cheap route! Boy has the price on these come way down! I can get two full spectrum, dimmable, remote controllable ones for the price I paid for one of these current lights. I'll post them up as I go.

Back