SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
My NEW LIGHTS!!!!!!

Ecoray 60D LED Fixture:

DSC05189.jpg

DSC05191.jpg

DSC05193.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The new LEDs look great on your tank. I'd be interested to see the PAR readings with that fixture with the 1w LEDs on it. I also didn't realize your tank was so tall, those are the most difficult to aquascape and you did an amazing job. I love the rockwork

The new LEDs look great on your tank. I'd be interested to see the PAR readings with that fixture with the 1w LEDs on it. I also didn't realize your tank was so tall, those are the most difficult to aquascape and you did an amazing job. I love the rockwork

Thanks, Brian! Yes, the aquarium is REALLY tall. I've always wanted a column-style aquarium, but holy cow was it a pain to aquascape (I had quite a few mini-avalanches before the LR decided to finally stay in place)! I look like I've taken a swim in the aquarium every time I have to rearrange anything in there lol! :D

As for the LEDS, it just so happens that I borrowed a PAR meter from my local reef club! :mrgreen: I took some readings today, and plan to do more tomorrow. The fixture hangs 7.5" above my aquarium. The PAR reading with the sensor sitting on top of the glass top on my aquarium (out of the water) 7.5" from the LEDs is around 958. Then 7.5" underwater (15" from the LEDs) is around 566. At the bottom of my tank with the sensor on the sandbed (about 30" from the LEDs) is around 297. The PAR readings are really high, so I might raise the fixture or put a screen over it or something...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
You're welcome...I hope you like them as much as I like mine. All my corals are growing baby heads left and right. And the best part is the temp doesn't go over 82°. They seem perfect for your tank. :)

So far I love them! :) I'm still worried about too much PAR with where I have the lights hanging right now. I'm going to redo some testing with the PAR meter tomorrow, and see what changes (if any) I want to make.

I wouldn't worry about too much PAR with your fixture. While the numbers are pretty impressive for 1w LEDs, they're not high enough where it'll harm your corals. The results are similar to 175-250w MH bulbs, attached are PAR tests that Larry (ccCapt) recorded and posted a while back.

Attachments

• PAR-mh.jpg
    PAR-mh.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 522
I wouldn't worry about too much PAR with your fixture. While the numbers are pretty impressive for 1w LEDs, they're not high enough where it'll harm your corals. The results are similar to 175-250w MH bulbs, attached are PAR tests that Larry (ccCapt) recorded and posted a while back.

That makes me feel better! Thanks!!

I'm quite impressed that the 1W LEDs are able to get that kind of par so deep. The Ecoxotic fixtures come with a guide that basically says you cant have anything further than 18' away from the fixture, which sits about 6 inches above the water line

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the Ecoray as well. I had read online that the PAR was impressive on the fixture, and now that I've used a PAR meter and seen it for myself it's just crazy!

Btw, you mean 18" not 18', right??

Back